Windows Media Player problem

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
Nasty old PC at work, only saving grace is nice speakers.

However when I stick a CD in to play it Windows Media player tells me it cannot play the disc coz it's the wrong file type...?

We're talking a Original Music CD here! Won't play copies I've made of dics either. File format is *.cda and it specifically sez in the error information supplied that *.cda is supported!

What's going on, how can I get the music to play?

WMP v 7.0.0.1440

OS Windows Me 4.9.3000

I checked through the registry and all the extensions seem to be supported, but then I'm no real expert there.

Help appreciated

Mubbers

Q326680

How about this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SYMPTOMS
When you try to play an audio CD in Microsoft Windows Media Player, you may receive the following error message:

Windows Media Player cannot play this file. Connect to the internet or insert the removable media on which the file is located then try to play the file again.
CAUSE
This issue may occur if your Windows Media Library index file is corrupted.
RESOLUTION
NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

To resolve this issue, create a new library index file:
Remove any audio CDs, and then close Windows Media Player.
Locate the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index

By default, the \Application Data\ folder is hidden. See the "More Information" section of this article for instructions about how to show hidden folders.

Note In some cases the index file may be located in a different folder. If you do not find the index file at this location, or if this folder does not exist on your computer, click Start, click Search, and then search for the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file.
Right-click the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file, and then click Rename.
Type Wmplibrary_v_0_12.OLD to rename the file.
Insert an audio CD, and then start Windows Media Player if it does not start automatically.

Windows Media Player re-creates the library index file.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If this doesn't work, could you post the error message that you are receiving?

Thanks for the reply - however

l8r after several attempts to sort it the machine stated producing a lot of error messages about a WMPdll file, made a funny noise or two then started playing the CD that was in the drawer - all by itself.

Worked fine since - how odd!

Mubbers

Yeah, I can't say that I understand that at all... but I'm glad that it works now!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back