windows media player 12 x64 inferno

evlo

OSNN Newbie
I have three problems with wmp12:
1. windows still prefres 32bit version for opening files from applications (32 or 64 bit applications)
2. i can't find working x64 version of vsfilter/direct vob sub. I have found two versions, non of them work
3. i can't force ffdshow video, ffdshow audio (or ac3filter) to play file content, ms still uses it's default decoders
4. can't add mkvs to library to wmp x64, but it works in 7mc library and it also works in wmp 32bit. I have used this http://hack7mc.blogspot.com/2009/01/pla ... enter.html regfile.

I have tried MCDU.exe and Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9.exe to force ffdshow (or ffdshow video)

Here are results that i get:

avi in WMP12 x64 with vobsub enabled:
don't open file

avi in WMP12 x64 without vobsub enabled:
ffdshow video - don't load
ffdshow audio - don't load
vobsub - don't load (obviously)

mkv WMP12 x64 without vobsub enabled:
ffdshow video - loads
ffdshow audio - loads
vobsub - don't load
i'm quite satisfied with this result, but i don't know how to set up ffdshow subtitles to have same size for different sizes of movies

mkv in WMP12 x64 with vobsub disabled:
ffdshow video - loads
ffdshow audio - loads
vobsub - don't load (ofcourse i have "auto load vsfilter" in haali splitter enabled)

mkv or avi in MPCHC x64 with all internal filters dissabled and with vobsub enabled:
ffdshow video - loads
ffdshow audio - loads
vobsub - don't load - i think this is weird, but it is possible that it is cuased somehow by mpch's internal vobsub subtitle filter [i think i now know how to use it with mpchc (note to myself: uncheck "auto load subtitles in file>open") and i will give it a try and update results]

mkv in WMP12 32bit with vobsub enabled:
ffdshow video - don't load - [this was probably cause because i fortgot to switch it in MCDU.exe]
ffdshow audio - loads
vobsub - loads

avi in WMP12 32bit with vobsub enabled:
don't open file (!!!)

avi in WMP12 32bit withoutout vobsub enabled:
ffdshow video - don't load
ffdshow audio - don't load
vobsub - don't load (obviously)

graphstudio64 for avi shows:
ffdshow vido + vsfiltr, ffdshow audio - when i try playing file in it it works ok

graphstudio64 for mkv shows:
ffdshow video + vsfilter, ffdshow audio - when i try playing file in it it works ok

mkv in graphstudio 32:
ffdshow video + vsfilter, ffdshow audio - when i try playing file in it it works ok

avi in graphstudio 32:
don't load file - i don't care why ...

avi in mft topology editor (i think it shows 32bit only):
{5686A0D9-FE39-409F-9DFF-3FDBC849F9F5} + mp3 decoder DMO

mkvin mft topology editor (i think it shows 32bit only):
can't load mkv

Opening video from totalcommander direcetly - only opens in x86, not possible to open in x64 even trough open with ....
Opening video from totalcommander x64 menu - opens in x86, it is possible to open in x64 even trough open with, but it don't change default player preference even when i checked "use this application as default"

I have tried this:
1. Run %SystemRoot%\System32\unregmp2.exe /SwapTo:64 as an administrator
2. Update any of the values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe that contain %ProgramFiles(x86)% to %ProgramFiles%

I have no problem playing mkv, problem is what decodes video and audio in it and mainly what DON'T show subtitles from external file in it.
MDCU is utility to force ffdshow, but Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9.exe can also be used to it. Second one is more advanced ...

How about you stop trying to make life hard for yourself and use the 32bit player that is compatible with all the 32bit codecs available?

There is no advantage to 64bit in video playback.

Because i want to use windows media center on my 64 bit system.

And even if did reinstal system to 32 i'm still on:
evlo said:
avi in WMP12 32bit with vobsub enabled:
don't open file (!!!)

I would suggest using winamp for audio and vlc media player for video .. WMP has issues ...

Yeah, codec packs will work. But vlc does everything without a codec pack :)

pretty badly though.... VLC is the last thing anyone with a few braincells between their ears should be using for media playback.

all of which wont help him if he wants to use WMC part of windows 7 - x64 versions require 64bit codecs, stupid i know they use x86 version of wmp by default from the desktop, they should give you the same option for media centre

Just use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. It works the best in my opinion.

I am going to check this out. Thanx ..

Lord, I been using vlc for a while now and it works great ... Haven't had an issue with it. What are you finding wrong with it?

although it boosts its great at decoding/playing hd mkv its not always that great, mpc-hc with ffdshow has never given me any issue

I found out taht wmp/wmc error is C00D11B1 and i know i saw somewhere something related to mp3, wmc and playback problem so i may be on the right way ... or no.

So i made myself VM, crated snapshot with clean install and start experimenting, results are ILOGICAL:

Conclusion (if you don't want to read results) - if you know what you want you are like me and have problem that you don't find right software, hardware, shirt, etc. all the time, now it will be same with wmp12. Simply there is currently no way to get excepted results from wmp12 or WMC (both in 32 or 64).

BUT you can get subtitles + video + mkv + audio working in both WMC and wmp12 and even in 64bit version of it working - in some twisted illogical ways.

I used Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9.exe for changing prefred WMP12 filters.

RESULTS (wmp12 and wmc results are identical):
for AVI in wmp12 x86:

ffdshow video (ffdv) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali for mkv only:
nothing of above mentioned filters loads

ffdshow video (ffdv) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali for mkv and avi:
nothing of above mentioned filtersloads

ffdshow video (ffdv) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali for mkv and avi + vsfilter:
haali + ffdv loads < see - very logical and excepted indeed, now it will continute

ffdshow video (ffda) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali for mkv only + vsfiler:
ffdv + ffda loads

divX decoder + ffda + vsfilter:
all of the above! and no crapy playback

divX decoder + ffda + vsfilter + haali for mkv and avi:
(i get crappy playback with this combination like this http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Rendering_wtf.jpg from divx, but it is probably because of testing enviroment even withouth dx9, only with dx11, old nvidia drivers etc. etc.)
divX icon don't shows up (i'm not sure if it is ussed for decoding or not, as i obviously can't see divX logo with disorted playback picture, but i think it is used for for rendering because of that disorted picture), but divx probably loads + ffda + vsfilter + haali

I also tried Xvid decoder insted of divX, altrought xvid can't hande h264, divx does - i'm not sure if it really loads as there is no mention of that filter in other ffdshow things in systemtray, nor even in gspot, but there are no DMOs in gspot also, but who know what wmp12 does (i'm not sure if MS do :) )

for MKV in wmp12 x86:
ffdshow video (ffdv) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali:
all of the above loads

ffdshow video (ffdv) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali + vsfiler:
ffdv + ffda + haali loads, no vsfilter

for MKV in wmp12 x64:
ffdshow video (ffdv) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali + vsfilter:
vsfilter crashes the playback

for MKV in wmp12 x64:
ffdshow video (ffdv) + ffdshow audio (ffda) + haali:
all of the above loads

i will end it here, bacause i done the testing yesterday and i don't remember other results. Next time i better will write it down.

My recomendation is to use vsfilter and DON'T SET IT TO "load always" and to 'hide subtitles' (32 and 64)+ halli for everything except mpeg-ts and avi (32 and 64) + ffdA (32 and 64) set output to direct sound device and make sure "only for spdif" is not checked under it, dissable AC3 decocing + ffdV (32 and 64) + ac3filter (32 and 64). FFdshow currently can't laod subtitles from more there one location eg. C:\subtitles. Or at least i think so, but this way you can get everything working everywhere.

Last edited:
YEP, that is Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9.exe that i allready mentioned at least twice, but i got everything working in bot 32 and 64, not ideal, but working.

yes my mistake i thought it was diff one, having looked and googling it looks like the reg key that needs to have the permissions to be changed to change the preferred codecs isnt being changed, maybe ms changed something, i know he is working on it though.

So i guess we just have to wait

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back