Windows Maintenance Apps

ming

OSNN Advanced
Can someone suggest a good Windows Utility application that cleans out junk and fix registry problems for XP?

Just before anyone mentions CCleaner, forget it coz I don't like that prog.

I've been using TuneUp Utilities that does various stuff, but I'd like to know if there are any better progs out there.

NLM said:
Well I like system mechanic, but everyone here hates it.

Haven't used that for ages to be honest... Don't think I'd go that route again either. :p

ming said:
Can someone suggest a good Windows Utility application that cleans out junk and fix registry problems for XP?

Just before anyone mentions CCleaner, forget it coz I don't like that prog.

I've been using TuneUp Utilities that does various stuff, but I'd like to know if there are any better progs out there.

OK first, System Mechanic = Bad, but there is already a thread about that.

Secondly, and opinions will vary, I don't really mess with the registry in regards to fixing "problems". All and all, I have done it several times before, I see no real difference in performance after doing it. When the registry is concerned, you are better off leaving well alone if it's not necessary. About a year ago or so I did some benchmarking on this, will have to dig to see if I have the screenshots and results somewhere. But seriously, unless you are getting GUI-related errors, or something in the Event Logs, I wouldn't sweat it.

And, in regards to Ccleaner, it's good, but if you don't like that you can try Webroot's Window Washer. I used it for a few years, but since Ccleaner is free, faster, and does essentially the same thing, I have switched :)

Window Washer does work well though, and I still have it installed on some client rigs:

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/windowwasher/

How come you don't like CCleaner? It's a beauty, lots of options to configure.

I use reg mechanic. I've used system mechanic but it's so long I forget why I went with reg mechanic. I think maybe it was a dangerously complex UI. Too easy to make a mistake.

Have not tried Clceaner for general cleanup. I'll have to take a look at it.

I agree with leejend, I use registry mechanic on clients computers all the time I have yet to have it cause a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back