Windows Logon Script: Creating a specific shortcut on all users desktop?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

While I really would like to deploy the actual shortcut using our version of PolicyMaker, I'm having a lot of issues with the group policy on our domain right now; nothing seems to ever work 100%. So in the mean time, I need to come up with a solution on how to get a specific shortcut on peoples' desktops of whom need it.

Can I do this via a logon script, and if so, can someone please help me write it? I don't know anything about scripting, I have not found any adequate resources that would be able to teach me scripting online. Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

What I would recommend is you create that shortcut somewhere that all users have read-access to. Then, add this line to the login script for those who need it:

COPY MYSHORTCUT.LNK %userprofile%\Desktop

Change the variables accordingly

What I would recommend is you create that shortcut somewhere that all users have read-access to. Then, add this line to the login script for those who need it:

COPY MYSHORTCUT.LNK %userprofile%\Desktop

Change the variables accordingly

If I was to place the shortcut on our server named "controler", and the shortcut was pointing to here:

\\dc_fin\programs\mcsj\mcsj.exe -s10.0.1.253 -dtestdb

How would I change that, and are you referring to adding it to the main login script? Or creating another?

Could also add it to the default user profile for future users.

If I was to place the shortcut on our server named "controler", and the shortcut was pointing to here:

\\dc_fin\programs\mcsj\mcsj.exe -s10.0.1.253 -dtestdb

How would I change that, and are you referring to adding it to the main login script? Or creating another?

Create the shortcut first on any machine and verify it works. Then, save that shortcut, then point to the shortcut.

Could also add it to the default user profile for future users.

From what I gather this doesn't go out to everyone, just select people.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back