• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Logon Script: Creating a specific shortcut on all users desktop?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

While I really would like to deploy the actual shortcut using our version of PolicyMaker, I'm having a lot of issues with the group policy on our domain right now; nothing seems to ever work 100%. So in the mean time, I need to come up with a solution on how to get a specific shortcut on peoples' desktops of whom need it.

Can I do this via a logon script, and if so, can someone please help me write it? I don't know anything about scripting, I have not found any adequate resources that would be able to teach me scripting online. Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
What I would recommend is you create that shortcut somewhere that all users have read-access to. Then, add this line to the login script for those who need it:

COPY MYSHORTCUT.LNK %userprofile%\Desktop

Change the variables accordingly

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
What I would recommend is you create that shortcut somewhere that all users have read-access to. Then, add this line to the login script for those who need it:

COPY MYSHORTCUT.LNK %userprofile%\Desktop

Change the variables accordingly
If I was to place the shortcut on our server named "controler", and the shortcut was pointing to here:

\\dc_fin\programs\mcsj\mcsj.exe -s10.0.1.253 -dtestdb

How would I change that, and are you referring to adding it to the main login script? Or creating another?

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
If I was to place the shortcut on our server named "controler", and the shortcut was pointing to here:

\\dc_fin\programs\mcsj\mcsj.exe -s10.0.1.253 -dtestdb

How would I change that, and are you referring to adding it to the main login script? Or creating another?
Create the shortcut first on any machine and verify it works. Then, save that shortcut, then point to the shortcut.

Could also add it to the default user profile for future users.
From what I gather this doesn't go out to everyone, just select people.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithgonzaal