Windows Live OneCare 1.5 Beta (Works with Vista)

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
What Is It?
An automatically self-updating PC care service that’s always on, helping provide persistent protection against viruses, hackers, and other threats, and helping keep your PC tuned up and your important documents backed up.

What Does It Do For You?
  • Runs quietly in the background, providing anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection
  • Updates itself to help you keep ahead of the latest threats
  • Runs regular PC tune-ups
  • Provides one-click solutions to most problems
  • Makes backups a breeze
  • Lets you see the status of your system at a glance

Installation Requirements
  • Internet Explorer 6 or higher
  • PC with 300 MHz or higher CPU clock speed
  • 256 MB of RAM
  • 550 MB of available hard disk space (on system partition)
  • 56 kbps or faster Internet connection (broadband recommended)
  • CD or DVD burner, external hard drive, local networked computer, or USB-connected storage device required for backup and restore functionality

Frequently Asked Questions

In which countries can I use Windows Live OneCare?
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, UK, US

What operating systems are supported?
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (build 5500 or greater; recommended build is 5600 aka RC1)

Can I use Windows Live OneCare with Windows XP or Vista x64 versions?
Not at this time.

What is the “Activate” button in the client?
This is for converting from a free trial to a paid subscription. You can safely ignore the button during the beta.

What if new viruses or other Internet threats come out?
Windows Live OneCare regularly updates itself based on emerging Internet threats so you can have better peace of mind.

What is a PC tune-up, and how is it done?
A PC tune-up is pretty much like a tune-up for your car: a series of maintenance tasks to keep it running at optimum speed and efficiency. After installation, Windows Live OneCare will automatically run your first tune-up at 1:00 a.m., then once every four weeks after that. Tune-ups can take a while, and that’s why they’re scheduled for a time when you most likely won’t be using your computer. But that’s your choice. Tune-ups can be done whenever you want.

Download: Windows Live OneCare 1.5 Beta
Source: Windows Live OneCare Blog

Last edited:
I just installed the new WOC Beta on a XP test box. Here are somethings I noticed:

• The new installer is much better to use than the web based installer.
  • The new interface has a Vista look.
  • Windows Defender is no more. The anti-spyware and antivirus engines have been combined (using less resources, too).
  • You now have the option to backup to a network drive (still no option to backup to a second fixed drive).
  • Still no registry cleaner (a feature that has been promised and is available via the online WOC).
  • The new WOC wants IE7 installed and the phishing filter active.

The new version has several improvements over the previous version (1.0 and 1.1). I'll add more notes after using it for a bit.

Just installed on vista 32 bit. Everytime you try and do anything from the left menu it pops up UAC.

Windows Live Onecare Beta 1.5

This is kinda clipped from the e-mail I got which I also submitted as news, but the windows live Onecare Beta 1.5 is out - below is the e-mail:

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]The Windows Live OneCare Beta (v1.5) Begins Today![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]You are invited to the Windows Live OneCare Beta! Please follow the instructions below to install the Windows Live OneCare Beta (v1.5) today.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Frequently Asked Questions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]What is Windows Live OneCare?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]An all-in-one PC care service that’s always on, helping provide persistent protection against viruses, hackers, and other threats, and helping keep your PC tuned up and your important documents backed up.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]What Windows Live [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]OneCare does for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]• Runs quietly in the background, providing anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]• Activates Phishing Filter in Internet Explorer 7 to help block or warn against identity theft or online scams[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]• Updates itself to help you keep ahead of the latest threats [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]• Runs regular tune-ups to help optimize the performance of your PC[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]• Provides one-click resolutions for any actions that you may need to take[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]• Makes backups to a variety of devices[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]a breeze [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]• Lets you see the status of your system at a glance[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]In which countries can I use Windows Live OneCare?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, UK, US[/FONT].
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]What operating systems are supported?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (build 5500 or greater; recommended build is 5600 aka RC1). OneCare is currently not available for x64 operating systems.[/FONT].
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]How can I provide feedback or file bugs?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]You can access the feedback and bug submission form by visiting the Feedback site.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Where can I learn more about the Windows Live OneCare Beta (v1.5)?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Please visit http://ideas.live.com/[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Invite your Friends and Family![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]If you know someone who would like to be a part of the beta, please feel free to forward them this invitation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Thanks for your interest in Windows Live OneCare Beta (v1.5)![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Windows Live OneCare Beta Team[/FONT]

Hope everyone who wants to test it enjoys doing so.

Darn, me being dumb didn't notice the other thread, sorry NR :rolleyes:

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I haven't found any detection stats for the OneCare antivirus engine. Most of the reviews I've seen are high-level overviews, rather than tests with concrete numbers. I'd like to see how it fares against NOD32, Kaspersky, and others in this regard.

Anyone have any links? :)

I don't think this thing is worth the 50.00 a year they expect you to pay for it..

$50.00/year for three users? The RETAIL price is FAR better than all other offerings on the market. On top of that you can get it for $20.00-$30.00 depending on sales/rebates.

I purchased five copies at $20.00/each (Before you ask: I resell to my customers).

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I haven't found any detection stats for the OneCare antivirus engine. Most of the reviews I've seen are high-level overviews, rather than tests with concrete numbers. I'd like to see how it fares against NOD32, Kaspersky, and others in this regard.

Anyone have any links? :)

Anyone find anything on this?

$50.00/year for three users? The RETAIL price is FAR better than all other offerings on the market. On top of that you can get it for $20.00-$30.00 depending on sales/rebates.

I purchased five copies at $20.00/each (Before you ask: I resell to my customers).

How do you qualify for that type of re-selling pricing? I'd be interested too...

Microsoft has started rolling out OneCare 1.5 RTM to customers. My production box (still running XP) was hit with the update over night.

Although I have been using it on my test box (Vista) for a few months now it is a nice improvement and the combined WOC and WD is my favorite feature (no longer two engines to perform the same task).

It's also worth noting that this will be a FREE upgrade for all current subscribers as will any future upgrade. As long as your account is in good standing you will receive all new versions free.

Windows XP Professional (Production Box) - 1.5.1890.16 (RTM)
Windows Vista Ultimate (Test Box) - 1.5.1882.4 (Beta? Hasn't updated yet)

Grabbed the final for Vista just yesterday :D

Looks like 1.5.1890.16

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back