Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 (5346.5)

I didn't have the other version installed, I'm going to try and reinstall. If that dosen't work, I guess if I feel like it call for help.

Thanks, I'll let you know

*Edit, reinstalling didn't do anything. Maybe I got a bad download lol? i dunno

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't use Microsoft's own Partner site with IE7B2, it's not supported.

I used a Windows 2000 box to update my profile.

HMMMmmmm after a recent reformat, and being fed up with Ffox memory leakage and issues, I decided to give this a whirl...

seems OK, but prone to take similar or greater memory for comparative functionality (seven or so tabs on the go etc). Then I just returned to my desktop and checked processes and find IE is hogging 50% on my X2 4200 (which implies it is looping basically and taking out one of my cores from folding).... so presently I am feeling IE7 beta has rather similar issues to Ffox. Maybe I'll check out the M$ beta pages to try and find if this is a known issue - I read this thread but found nothing. Anyone else noticed similar? If not may I suggest "keeping tabs" (sic) on the IE7 process ;)

IE7 uses a lot of resources upon startup but the longer it is open the memory usage actually goes down.

The iexplore process seems to be sitting at 0% CPU usage while idle on my laptop at the moment. I haven't noticed any CPU spiking on my desktop either. Did any of the pages you were on have any Flash ads, Java or streaming media content?

RAM usage is not particularly low, but at least it allows the system to reclaim most of it when you minimize the window.

MFG - IE7 has been attacked for it's RAM useage, but from what I remember it's only when the pages are loading or the iexplore.exe kicks off for the first time. There is lots on the internet about it, and I believe there was information in the Beta 2 Preview Thread as well. If you do go searching Google for your own curiosity, be cautious because a lot of sites were comparing IE7 to Firefox 1.5, which is obviously not fair because that is comparing a Beta release to a RTM.

Bman - probably not best to edit your post 4 hours after your OP, especially when others have posted since you had. It would make it hard for us to continue throwing suggestions at you.

I doubt you had a bad download, but if you have the time it may be worth it to call the Free Tech Support. If nothing else, I'd be interested to see what they say :) Teach us all!

Hey Bman - this may help you

Some customers have reported that after successfully completing IE7 setup, they do not have a tab band. I’d like to shed some light on this issue and offer a solution.

IE’s tab implementation depends on xmllite.dll which is installed with IE7 but through a separate installer bundled within the IE setup process. If you extract the contents of the IE7 installation package and run update.exe directly, you will skip this step which results in having no xmllite.dll and thus no tabs. You can be sure this is the problem if you do not have either of the log files creating during installation of xmllite.dll:
  • %windir%\KB914783.log (for Server 2003)
  • %windir%\KB915865.log (for XP)

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/05/01/587745.aspx

That's what I did, ran the update.exe file, I will reinstall the other way.

I'll let ya know.

I love the look of IE7 Beta 2 but it crashes on my desktop. I also have it installed on my laptop and that seems to be OK. Both are running Windows XP SP2. The laptop is a intel pentium and the desktop is a intel celeron. Any ideas please as to why it is crashing on the desktop...it only happens when I put in a search...but that is the whole point of a browser!!

What search engine do you use?

My default is google, always has been and no problems here.

If you have an issue with that particular search engine, try a different one.

IE7 Beta 2 crashes with any search engine I use on the desktop computer

Have you tried uninstalling and cleaning up? Then reinstalling?

I think there is just something wrong with the beta lol, cause many people are having many different problems, it weird.

Betas do have problems, that is why there is a feature for bug reporting :)

IE7 is only designed to work with the new MSN Search engine that MS/Gates just announced. Unfortunatley, as with all MS products the search engine will not be available in time to support it's companion products.

Wonder how long it will take this bogus quote to show up at El Reg...

I wonder how long before Google sues because they are already crying.

ohhh no..... im SP1.... gotta upgrade.. is this faster than firefox? juz asking.. thanks...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back