Windows Home Support Ending Before Vista Comes Out?

xp is such a good os they're gonna have to do something to get people to buy vista

Vista gets released before the end of the year. Support for XP Home ends on December 31, 2006. That means there's still an overlap period of a couple of months.

With that said, I don't think this is a very good idea. If you ask me, Vista is a worthwhile upgrade for almost everyone, including home users, but there are so many people who simply won't upgrade their OS until they buy a new computer. Without continuing security updates, it could turn into a pretty unpleasant situation, especially if another major worm hits the web sometime next year.

Microsoft obviously can't (and shouldn't) continue to provide updates for older OS's indefinitely, but I think there needs to be a slightly longer overlap period so that people have time to plan for and make the transition. Ending support for XP Home about six months after Vista is released would be more reasonable, in my opinion.

I agree with more time, I am very used to Windows XP, haven't got a chance to try Vista. Right now, I really don't want to switch over. I have work, schooling and many things to worry about. I need to stick to one OS for the moment.

perris said:
xp is such a good os they're gonna have to do something to get people to buy vista

Well...it looks like that is what the plan is. Upgrade or fee the wrath of teh intArwebs!!!!one

I think they tried to do this with Windows 2000 years ago, and it is still supported. If they do end support, I think it will blow up in their face, either they will have tons of insecure boxes out there, or they force users to switch to a different OS. Hmm, maybe I should try this free and more seucre linux thing I've been hearing about, or should I drop probably $500 on their new wizbang OS, that will probably require hardware upgrades as well?

The thing is Win2k wasn't considered to be a consumer product, although many of us ended up using it at home after experiencing the disaster that was Windows ME. :D So support continued for few more years. Similarly, support for XP Pro, the business version, is supposed to continue for several more years.

I'm not sure if Microsoft will reconsider its stance on XP Home, but I hope it extends for a few more months, especially since most systems vendors like Dell, HP, etc. ship their consumer systems with the Home edition, and those are the systems that most home users have been purchasing. This, unfortunately, also happens to be the pool of users that needs the security updates the most.

I did forget that they are not ending support for Pro, still though, since they are basically the same OS, with home missing a handful of [useful] features, I don't think it would cost them much to continue support for both.

j79zlr said:
I did forget that they are not ending support for Pro, still though, since they are basically the same OS, with home missing a handful of [useful] features, I don't think it would cost them much to continue support for both.
I agree. As an outsider, I don't know how the QA process works for hotfixes, but rationally speaking, the test matrix for Home should simply be a subset of the one for Pro, probably with a few exceptions.

I think it has more to do with increasing the uptake rate of Vista as fast as possible, rather than cost to the company for additional testing with XP Home, which should be minimal. It's not such a bad idea, considering the fact that Vista makes some pretty big strides ahead in terms of security compared to XP (apart from several other incentives to upgrade). But again, I think people are going to need more time. A couple of months is just too short of a transition period.

I think it might be a marketing strategy to say they are going to end support when they aren't really

I think they intend to support xp home for a longer period of time, but will wait until the last minute to announce that bit of generosity

perris said:
I think it might be a marketing strategy to say they are going to end support when they aren't really

I think they intend to support xp home for a longer period of time, but will wait until the last minute to announce that bit of generosity

I will have to agree with you on this one, perris.

Heeter

Ding! Look like the decision was reconsidered. :)

Microsoft has quietly extended the support lifespan of Windows XP Home, which as recently as last week was scheduled to be put out to pasture at the end of this year.

Analysts had pointed out that XP Home, and most other XP operating systems, would be cut off from technical support on Dec. 31, 2006, a potential problem since XP's successor, Windows Vista, isn't to release until shortly before that date

In a blog written last Wednesday, JupiterResearch analyst Joe Wilcox put the blame at Windows Vista's door. "It's more a problem of product delays, that Microsoft repeatedly delayed release of Windows Vista," he wrote.

In an updated support lifecycle listing, Microsoft said that all Windows XP products--which include Home, Pro, Embedded, Media Center, and Tablet PC--will enjoy mainstream support for "two years after the next version of this product is released."

Assuming Vista releases in November of this year, XP's mainstream support will end November, 2008.

yep, and that's old news, read somewhere last week about XP support going to '08. I guess they were only referring to Pro at the time?

Mastershakes said:
yep, and that's old news, read somewhere last week about XP support going to '08. I guess they were only referring to Pro at the time?
Yeah, that was Pro only. Mainstream support for XP Home was supposed to end this year, but that has been changed too.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

To talk about/plan the ending of support for the current lattest gen of Windows, when the upcomming version is still in beta, seems IMO silly.

Though more a recommendation in the business sphere, I can also see many home users applying it for themselves. AKA, don't upgrade to a newer version of Windows until after Service Pack 1 is released. The main reason, is getting some of the initial bug fixes out of the way. There are some people who are just not necessarily the best candidates for being on the bleeding edge, and the resultant support which could be necessary in helping the technical non-savy granny who wants to play Cribadge on her now 3 year old computer, while having to face new OS bugs, might simply not be the best option from a support standpoint.

For some of these people to stick with software that has already seen a few fixes to coding bugs which will likely (and in the past has) made it out the gate, might be the easier course of action for the support people themselves. After SP1 is released, some additional things that might not become as well known, until after the product is in wide usage, has gotten a chance to have been fixed by then...

We STILL do not have SP2 on our work computers...

Brad said:
We STILL do not have SP2 on our work computers...
Why is that? Are there still any incompatibilities with software that you use?

This was said already but I read it in a Microsoft Newsletter this morning...

Support for XP Home has been extended through (the end?) of 2008. XP Professional through 2011.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back