Windows gets big security update

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5071656.stm

Windows gets big security update

_41755100_bullet-ap203.jpg
Microsoft has decided Windows 98 is too old to continue patching

One of the biggest security updates for more than a year is being released by Microsoft to fix 12 software flaws.
Nine of the updates apply to the Windows operating system and one is deemed critical, a rating reserved for the most serious security problems.
At least one of the loopholes being patched is already being actively exploited by malicious hackers.
Windows users are being urged to download the patches as soon as they become available on Tuesday 13 June.
Support shift
Microsoft issues its security patches on the second Tuesday of every month and June's update will be the biggest for more than a year.
This is because Microsoft is not only tackling security problems but also the fallout of a legal case that the software giant lost.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
We strongly recommend that those of you who are still running these older versions of Windows upgrade to a newer, more secure version, such as Windows XP SP2, as soon as possible
end_quote_rb.gif

Microsoft advice

Microsoft gives advance notice of what is in its security patches to help companies plan how best to install the software and limit the impact on day-to-day business.
While most of the updates apply to Windows, two are for the Office suite of products and one for the Exchange e-mail server software.
One of the security problems being tackled in Office was found in Microsoft's Word software and the virus created to exploit it has been dubbed Backdoor.Ginwui. The virus and loophole were first discovered in mid-May.
The virus travels in an e-mail bearing a Word document that purports to summarise the results of a US-Asia summit.
Legal woes
Another of the updates has come about as a result of a courtroom clash between Microsoft and Eolas over technology in the Internet Explorer browser. The lawsuit ended with a $521m (£283m) judgement against Microsoft.
Microsoft had to re-engineer Internet Explorer to stop a technology known as ActiveX automatically starting when users visit some websites.
Before now, users could choose to apply this change to their browser, but this update makes it mandatory.
At the same time as information about the update was being released, Microsoft mentioned that it will not be able to patch Windows 98 and ME against a loophole discovered in April 2006.
Fixing this bug in the ageing software would require a major re-write of the Windows Explorer program used in these old copies of the operating system. Microsoft is not prepared to undertake this work, given that all support for Windows 98 and ME ends on 11 July 2006. On its security blog Microsoft wrote: "We strongly recommend that those of you who are still running these older versions of Windows upgrade to a newer, more secure version, such as Windows XP SP2, as soon as possible."

Who the hell are Eolas?

And the patent:

"A system allowing a user of a web browser to access and execute an embedded program object. The program object is embedded into a hypermedia document much like data objects. Once selected, the program object executes on the user's computer or may execute on a remote server or additional remote computers in a distributed processing arrangement. After launching the program object, the user can interact with the object as the invention provides for ongoing communication between the client and browser programs."

Doesnt Paint Shop Pro do something vaguely similar with their updates?

Who the hell are Eolas?

And the patent:

"A system allowing a user of a web browser to access and execute an embedded program object. The program object is embedded into a hypermedia document much like data objects. Once selected, the program object executes on the user's computer or may execute on a remote server or additional remote computers in a distributed processing arrangement. After launching the program object, the user can interact with the object as the invention provides for ongoing communication between the client and browser programs."

Doesnt Paint Shop Pro do something vaguely similar with their updates?

How many PSP is sold compared to Windows with IE integrated? Probably not worth suing the PSP owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back