Windows File Backup, Incremental File too large!

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Thought I had this fixed but ran into something I wasn't expecting. Right now on one of the servers, we have two Windows backups running (since there is no Veritas Agent). The first runs hourly on a folder, and only backups files incrementally. This runs 7 days a week. The second backup runs every Friday night, which does a full backup of the folder... These are all reports that are crucial to the operation of the business.

The files are then backed up on a share where the share is backed up by Veritas. Unfortunately, the incremental backups have become entirely too large (incremental file: 300gb; full file: 1.5gb). We have to do the incrementals because if anything happens, we at least have the hourly backup and won't have to reinput so many reports.

Is there a way, perhaps script or something, that after the full backup, the incremental starts at 0kb again and works it's way up? This will definitely alleviate the size problems and will ensure successful backups all around!

I guess you can follow slightly different way and backup files as is but still with ability to have incremental backups. We chose Scriptlogic's Secure Copy when we opened new office branch and our backup queue became so big that we started encounter some close problems with backup using NTBackup. It copies files intact dividing the copy process into definable number of threads and chunks. Incremental backup is a pleasure here, because it replaces only those attribute that were changed on the source. So when I add or remove user account into ACL on the source for the whole document storage, Secure Copy updates backup storage very quickly because it just refreshes the ACL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back