Windows explorer search assistant malfunction

O

Ozzie

Since installing SP1, the Windows explorer file search function has ceased to work. I've tried the fix suggested generally -- reinstalling the Srchasst files -- but this has no effect.

Anyone have any further advice?

Do you get any error messages and if so what do they say? If search simply does nothing you could check in the registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
if there is an entry NoFind and has the value 1. Change this to 0.

Hi Yoyo, Thanks for the note. Checked the registry as you advised, but have no NoFind entry. Tried adding a NoFind key to no effect.

When I click SEARCH, a popup window appears with "search companion" in the title bar, and an exclamation mark in the window. The only option is to click "OK" which exits the popup, but no search ensues.

Any further views??

Found this at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
hope it may help

Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Point

Option 1. Depending on your version of TweakUI, run it, go to the Desktop settings and put the check mark back in Search Results.

Option 2. If you don't have TweakUI installed, or this option isn't available in your version, copy and paste the following lines into a Notepad file and save the file with an REG extension. Make sure to add a blank line at the end of the file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\
{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}]
@="Search Results Folder"

Locate the file you just saved and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt.

Option 3: If manually editing the Registry is not to your liking, visit the web site at www.dougknox.com and visit the Windows XP section. In Tweaks and Fixes, follow the link for Fix Windows XP Search (error) and follow the instructions.

Many thanks!! The problem was TWEAKUI. So simple I could kick myself. ...Virtually.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back