Windows Error Message & Shutdowns

D

Dick

I need the help of the experts with this one.

Using Windows XP Home on HP PC with Pentium 4, 80 GB hard drive & 512mb RAM.

I have this persistent problem where Windows will throw up one of it's Error Reporting boxes telling me that Windows has to shut down & asking if I want to report this to MS. In the report dialogue, it gives the following message:

"C:\Documents~1\Owner\Locals~1\temp\WER6.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt"!

With each subsequent shutdown, the WER6 assigns a sequentially greater number. i.e. WER6 becomes WER7, etc. Seems to occur most (but not limited to) when I'm using Opera browser &/or Adobe Premiere 6.0 video editing software.

What the heck is causing this & how can I fix it so it goes away???? Your assistance will be very much appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Need a bit more info on what is going on. Go to my computer/properties/advanced/error reporting. Turn that off. Go back to startup & recovery/settings. Turn off auto restart. That hopefully will give you an error of what is going on when it crashes.

You might have a virus that is continually renaming itself. The directory look like one where a virus would be hiding. I would update my antivirus software and scan before i did anything.

Just a shot here. This will recreate the pagefile. It may fix it. Do this if nothing else works.

Right-click My Computer--> Properties--> Advanced tab.

In the Performance section, click "Settings".
In the Virtual Memory section, click "Change".
For Paging file size for selected drive, click "No Paging File" and then click "Set".
Click "Yes" after the following warning appears:
If the paging file on volume X: has an initial size of less than xx megabytes, then the system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs. Continue anyway? (X is the drive letter and xx is the amount of RAM installed on your computer minus 1 megabyte.)

Click System Managed Size.

Click OK four times, and then restart the computer when you are prompted.

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all who replied, it's much appreciated. I'll try to reply to all - as I can.

I followed advice of Hipster Doofus but still got the popup & shut down. No other messages shown other than the same "WER6" file thing reported in my first post.

Also, ran updated AVG - no viruses reported. Ran AdAware which reported one suspicious file in a registry key. "Alexa (system) Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\extensions\c95fe080-8f5i-1" whatever the hell that is. It was cleaned out by AA. Also cleared out all of the Temp files I coul in the Documents & Settings directory.

Haven't tried recreating the file page yet. If the problem persists then I will.

Thanks again all for your help.

Best regards, Dick

Did you check the eventviewer (control panel>administrative tools>event viewer>system) if you can find some information there? Look for errors, warnings and information about "save dump". In most cases you will find the error message there.
Btw. Alexa comes with Internet Explorer by default.

Hipster Doofus, Pacou & YoYo,

In the Event Viewer, I didn't find anything under the System tab, however there were error events reported in the Applications section. One said:

"Faulting application Opera.exe vs 6.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01375"

The others were similar except as follows:

"Premiere 6.0, faulting module premiereinfo.dll"

"Opera 6.0, faulting module ntdll"

Opera is my browser and Premiere is video editing software. Any suggestions regarding what to do now?

Best regards, Dick

oh excuse me, you can be use the repair of xp ( cd rom )
before uninstall the two application and see if your system
it's ok. have you use scandisk one day ?
regards

Hi Pacou, Thanks for your reply.

My O.S. is Win XP Home.

If I understand correctly, you're saying I should perform a repair of XP using the XP CD. Then, if that doesn't work, to uninstall the two applications.

Also, I should do a scandisk to try to fix the files.

By the way, my Windows never crashes, only the appplications shut down when I get the event error reporting message.

Best regards, Dick

use systran for this reply

bonjour,

Il te faut désinstaller les deux applications ensuite utilise ton cd rom xp pour faire une réparation, vérifie que ton système fonctionne correctement ensuite réinstalle tes applications.
as tu déja éffectué scandisk ?
salutations.

Try uninstalling those two programs. Remove one, reboot, etc. Then load them again. Load one, reboot.

Hi Hipster Doofus,

At the moment, things are behaving. If the shutdowns return, I'll try to re-install as you suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Best regards, Dick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back