Windows Desktop Search now indexes Thunderbird...

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
For those of you who were looking for alternatives because WDS didn't previously support Thunderbird, here you go:

Windows Desktop Search Thunderbird/Mozilla/Eudora Mail Add-in

Designed as a protocol handler, this add-in gives Windows Desktop Search the ability to index and search the content of your Thunderbird, Mozilla/Netscape or Eudora mailboxes.

System requirements: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 or later with Windows Desktop Search installed.

Note: This is pre-release (BETA) version and is made available for feedback and testing purposes.

The current version has the following limitations:
- No context menus in the result pane.
- Mailboxes can get temporary locked in some cases during indexing.
- Some part of emails are not displayed in the preview pane (though everything gets indexed correctly).
- Some Eudora attachments are not detected.
- Text in the preview pane is generally not formatted correctly.
Config screenshot: http://www.citeknet.com/portals/0/wdsmailaddinscreenshot.png
Download: http://www.citeknet.com/Products/Pr...dMozillaEudoraMailAddin/tabid/70/Default.aspx

Enjoy. :)

Hey Nets,

I ran spybot after this install and picked up one spyware. Just a heads up to everyone.

Does WDS search mapped drives?

Heeter

Heeter said:
Hey Nets,

I ran spybot after this install and picked up one spyware. Just a heads up to everyone.

Does WDS search mapped drives?

Heeter
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's a false positive. And yes, WDS will index and search mapped/network drives if you select the checkboxes next to them.

Okay thanks, Nets.

I see what you mean.

In your opinion, which is better. The Google or the MSN? Is there a hack for the MSN one to use Google Web search instead of MSN web search?

Heeter

I personally think WDS is a far better implementation than GDS. I still use Google for web searches, but MSN has really done an awesome job in the desktop search space. The find-as-you-type deskbar, the search results being displayed in a shell namespace extension rather than a browser window, and a number of other factors contribute to that opinion. If you haven't already checked it out, take a look at the review I wrote some time ago. The HTML version is here: http://kunal.kundaje.net/reviews/wds.html

I'll need to update it, now that there's Thunderbird support and the search API. :)

You don't need a hack to use Google for web searches in WDS, by the way. There's a box that allows you to specify any search engine that you want. Just set it to the following: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=$w

Hi Nets,

In a head to head grudgematch on my computer, I really like the fact that WDS has it's own GUI-style interface, rather than using the browser. I do like it, it is miles ahead of the dumb search dog. I could not get GDS to index the mapped drives. If it's there, I can't see it.

Thanks Nets. Made me a believer.

Heeter

Glad you like it. :)
Regd. the WDS UI vs. the browser window, here's an excerpt from the review:

It’s important to note that this window uses a shell namespace extension and that it is not an Internet Explorer window. The fact that Google Desktop Search displays search results in a browser window misled many users into thinking this does too. However, if you think about it, displaying search results in browser window is not very prudent for a desktop search app. It does not allow the kind of rich interaction that’s possible when using a shell namespace extension. For example, with Windows Desktop Search, you can right-click search results and work with the same familiar context-menu that you use everywhere else in the system. You can drag and drop search results into other folders and applications. None of this is possible if the results are displayed in a browser window.

all I need now is for thunderbird to support MS Exchange :D Outlok keeps crashing everytime my mailserver crashes.

Still waiting for firefox support :) like that will ever happen...I like the in brower support that google uses. I still want to check this out though, and the last time I used WDS explorer crashed :s. Ill be letting you know how it is after I download it on 14.4 :dead: so give me a few hours :p

zeke_mo said:
Still waiting for firefox support :) like that will ever happen...I like the in brower support that google uses. I still want to check this out though, and the last time I used WDS explorer crashed :s. Ill be letting you know how it is after I download it on 14.4 :dead: so give me a few hours :p
You mean Firefox support for cache/history indexing? WDS doesn't index the cache and history for IE either. IIRC, the MSN folks wanted to be a little more careful since Google faced quite a bit of heat for privacy issues in the GDS implementation.

On the other hand, if you mean search results being displayed in a Firefox window, you can expect it never to happen. It would be a step backwards, for the reasons mentioned above. Displaying desktop search results in a browser window is just plain silly. Not a single desktop search implementation, not even Spotlight (Mac) and Beagle (Linux), displays results in a browser window. :D

I just found a plugin for GDS that indexs trillian, and a plugin to put it in the firefox search bar :pirate:. I did download WDS and I did like the explorer window that you can search in but didnt care much for the popup one that is in the taskbar. I dont really know if it was worth a hour+ download on dialup, so maybe Ill just stick with google for now. Who knows, maybe I will get bored with the web interface and switch to WDS

Very good news. I still use Outlook though and well ... I've been able to search it for quite some time. :laugh:

vern said:
Very good news. I still use Outlook though and well ... I've been able to search it for quite some time. :laugh:
Heh yeah, me too. Still a nice plugin...opens up WDS to a wider audience now. :)

Been waiting for Thunderbird support for a long time. Great news for a great app :)

NetRyder said:
Heh yeah, me too. Still a nice plugin...opens up WDS to a wider audience now. :)

:laugh: If they really wanted an audience, they'd put in support for apps used in office environments. *cough* Eudora *cough* Groupwise *cough* Notes. :laugh:

vern said:
:laugh: If they really wanted an audience, they'd put in support for apps used in office environments. *cough* Eudora *cough* Groupwise *cough* Notes. :laugh:
Eudora is already supported with this plugin. Notes (ugh!) and Groupwise...well, not yet. :)

NetRyder said:
Eudora is already supported with this plugin. Notes (ugh!) and Groupwise...well, not yet. :)

I "strongly dislike" groupwise :)

I don't see why you need an external search for your e-mail client. Any decent program (I worship Outlook) searches internally just fine :)

kcnychief said:
I "strongly dislike" groupwise :)

I don't see why you need an external search for your e-mail client. Any decent program (I worship Outlook) searches internally just fine :)

Once you use a desktop search program whether it be MSN, Google, or whatever, you will hate Outlook's built in search. :laugh:

vern said:
Once you use a desktop search program whether it be MSN, Google, or whatever, you will hate Outlook's built in search. :laugh:

Or you could just remember where the files are kept and not need a search prog :)

Outlooks search sucks! I have years worth of email archive and it can spend an age looking for something and it might not even find it.

Its also not just about finding files, it searches the contents also. If you have 200 (or more) documents and want one with a certain phrase or is a letter to someone searching them manual (or even with windows find) can take ages, and again not always find it.

The "remember where it is" argument is silly when you have years worth or files

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back