Windows constantly accessing drive

TittleBitties said:
Is your xp legit? If not then maybe something got put into xp and its doing that. Just taking a wild guess cause i think everybody has tried every idea. Maybe its a sign that u should switch to linux :p.

Linux sucks... and yes, my copy of XP Pro is legit. Where'd the technician go?

-Wrath

I see you have Perfect Disk and wonder if it is setup to automatically defrag in the background whenever it feels defragging is needed or something.

Wrath...I'm out of town right now (accessing the net from a hotel room). Will check that list and respond when I get back home. Hopefully you find a fix until then. :)

TittleBitties said:
Maybe its a sign that u should switch to linux :p.
Are you mad? :p

UPDATE:

Just for sh|ts and giggles, I slid the hard drive out of it's quick mount slot, leaving it connected to the motherboard by it's power and data cables. To my complete surprise, the freaking noise (tick tick tick as well as "static" noise when I move my mouse) is coming from my freakin CPU! Not the CPU fan, not the soundcard, but from the CPU or motherboard itself! WTF? There are no moving parts!? What's making the noise?

-Wrath

Wrathchild said:
UPDATE:To my complete surprise, the freaking noise(tick tick tick as well as "static" noise when I move my mouse) iscoming from my freakin CPU! Not the CPU fan, not the soundcard, butfrom the CPU or motherboard itself!
-Wrath

egghead on January 10 said:
I do suggest that you remove the caseand determine that it is indeed the hard drive and not the fan or alight diode blinking etc before you try the steps above.......

http://forum.osnn.net/showpost.php?p=469752&postcount=24

glad you got it figured out...

i can't see it being the cpu. You need to go into the bios and see ifyou can disable the internal speaker. (the one that goes beep)

very weird problem

egghead said:
http://forum.osnn.net/showpost.php?p=469752&postcount=24

glad you got it figured out...

i can't see it being the cpu. You need to go into the bios and see ifyou can disable the internal speaker. (the one that goes beep)

very weird problem

Thanks. Can't find a setting for disabling the speaker in the Bios. GUess I'll have to deal until I get my SLI board. I appreciate all your help folks!

-Wrath

I'm not sure what you are talking about, just glanced here quickly. You are aware that in Xp it constantly accesses the drive to get updates for system restore. I installed perfect disk in the past and if I remember correctly it was worse about doing this. Anyway to stop the little led from flickering when there is no activity on the computer you would have to stop all types of restore programs that use this method of operation to function.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back