Windows CD Key

N

Not Bman

This has never crossed my mind before now. If you buy a legit cdkey, or full windows with cdkey, can you use that key for more then one computer?

No.

Keys have to be activated, they work on one machine. A seperate license must be purchased for each computer.

A license for Windows XP Home/Professional is good for one PC and up to two CPU's.

the answer of using the same key on two seperate machines is quite obvious... but what if you are running the free version of MS virtualPC? would you be required to purchase a new licence/cd key to run it on a virtual machine?

Is the VPC software installed on the same system or a different system?

I know for a fact it still has to get activated, not sure if there is a grey area on that though.

Buying a new licence, key, would that be cheaper or the same price of a full new windows xp.

You could buy an OEM license, I believe that is the cheapest you can get them.

You could buy an OEM license, I believe that is the cheapest you can get them.
Yeah and check that you get some hardware with it - a reputable company will do this rather than sell OEM alone.

Also - some OEMs are actually licensed to install on 1-2 machines, but this does NOT mean you SHOULD do it although you CAN. The EULA will prohibit this - it is there so that if you make a major system upgrade you get a one time chance to reactivate the key on that (OEM) machine.

I know - been there done this on two rigs. Any more upgrades and you have to phone for activation.

Yeah and check that you get some hardware with it - a reputable company will do this rather than sell OEM alone.

Also - some OEMs are actually licensed to install on 1-2 machines, but this does NOT mean you SHOULD do it although you CAN. The EULA will prohibit this - it is there so that if you make a major system upgrade you get a one time chance to reactivate the key on that (OEM) machine.

I know - been there done this on two rigs. Any more upgrades and you have to phone for activation.
Has nothing to do with being reputable or not, it violates the EULA if they don't include hardware. That is why if you get it off eBay, for instance, people include an audio cable for a CD-ROM, or other low-end hardware, just to meet it ;)

OK OK - well I'll confess I once bought an OEM CD from an online vendor with nothing else - I am happy to confess this because that copy is no longer in use, went with a dead machine, so I stayed legal - but that vendor did not, strictly speaking (though only I as the End User could be prosecuted for piracy).

fwiw, I believe it would only be a violation on his end, i.e. it has to be SOLD with hardware, not necessarily bought with hardware. I could be wrong on that though...

I hate FWIW. Stop it.

Anyway, I purchased an OEM copy of Office from Newegg and I don't remember receiving ANYTHING hardware.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think Office and Windows have different EULA's in relation to needing hardware to be purchased with it.

No, you are right. All OEM software from Microsoft is supposed to be sold with hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back