• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows CD Key

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
This has never crossed my mind before now. If you buy a legit cdkey, or full windows with cdkey, can you use that key for more then one computer?

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
No.

Keys have to be activated, they work on one machine. A seperate license must be purchased for each computer.

ming

OSNN Advanced
the answer of using the same key on two seperate machines is quite obvious... but what if you are running the free version of MS virtualPC? would you be required to purchase a new licence/cd key to run it on a virtual machine?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
You could buy an OEM license, I believe that is the cheapest you can get them.
Yeah and check that you get some hardware with it - a reputable company will do this rather than sell OEM alone.

Also - some OEMs are actually licensed to install on 1-2 machines, but this does NOT mean you SHOULD do it although you CAN. The EULA will prohibit this - it is there so that if you make a major system upgrade you get a one time chance to reactivate the key on that (OEM) machine.

I know - been there done this on two rigs. Any more upgrades and you have to phone for activation.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Yeah and check that you get some hardware with it - a reputable company will do this rather than sell OEM alone.

Also - some OEMs are actually licensed to install on 1-2 machines, but this does NOT mean you SHOULD do it although you CAN. The EULA will prohibit this - it is there so that if you make a major system upgrade you get a one time chance to reactivate the key on that (OEM) machine.

I know - been there done this on two rigs. Any more upgrades and you have to phone for activation.
Has nothing to do with being reputable or not, it violates the EULA if they don't include hardware. That is why if you get it off eBay, for instance, people include an audio cable for a CD-ROM, or other low-end hardware, just to meet it ;)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OK OK - well I'll confess I once bought an OEM CD from an online vendor with nothing else - I am happy to confess this because that copy is no longer in use, went with a dead machine, so I stayed legal - but that vendor did not, strictly speaking (though only I as the End User could be prosecuted for piracy).

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
fwiw, I believe it would only be a violation on his end, i.e. it has to be SOLD with hardware, not necessarily bought with hardware. I could be wrong on that though...

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
I hate FWIW. Stop it.

Anyway, I purchased an OEM copy of Office from Newegg and I don't remember receiving ANYTHING hardware.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Again, I could be wrong, but I think Office and Windows have different EULA's in relation to needing hardware to be purchased with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix