windows 98 problem(not my comp)

H

Homerbalooza

Hello again, as you can see if seemto have a lot of problems, well on this computer, wich is on my granmas computer, all windows programs take a while to load, IE, links, search for files/folders and bassically all windows programs:huh: :huh: any help?
thx

-Nick

198 ram, 11 gigs, 600mghz, 64ramgrphics card, errr:huh: thats all i remeber.

-Nick

Originally posted by Homerbalooza
198 ram, 11 gigs, 600mghz, 64ramgrphics card, errr:huh: thats all i remeber.

-Nick

That's enough for windows 98 to run nicely. First of all, defragmenting the drive would be a start. How long has the windows installation been on the compuer? perhaps it's time to do a clean install, and start fresh? :)

Empty the internet cache, clear the cookies, download and run adware 6 :)

Do a scandisk then Defrag and clean out Temp file folder(only the files that are over a week old) and Temp Internet file, Internet cache and so on. Over time Win98 will collect a lot of dead weight. Look in the "StartUp" folder and see what is loading at startup. If any of the proggies there are not used anymore delete them and uninstall them. Clear off the excess fat and dead proggies. run reg clean to tiddy up the dead links in the reg then do a defrag again. also Make sure that win98 is controling the size of your "page file" and you don't have it set to manual.

The "scandisk " helps alot because if you have had proggies crash and lock up the system their files become corrupt and cause the system to slow down when loading. You'ld be suprised as to how many times this can happen. Many older proggies for win98 and that were written for win95 but used in win98 are TSR (terminate and stay resident) and will hold on to memory and not release it. That makes everything run Slooooooooow.

Good luck.

I have defraged cleantemp folers scan disk and all of that, then my friend did something then it would work for around a week then began ****ing up again.

-Nick

Originally posted by Homerbalooza
I have defraged cleantemp folers scan disk and all of that, then my friend did something then it would work for around a week then began ****ing up again.

-Nick

Reinstall.

If i reinstall windows wont i loose everything if i do how can i save this?

Could possibly be an overheating processor. Intel chips will "throttle down" when hot.
Is there a cpu fan on it and if so, can you see it running?

Originally posted by xsivforce
Could possibly be an overheating processor. Intel chips will "throttle down" when hot.
Throttling was introduced on the p4's, so probably not throttling if its only 600mhz

Originally posted by xsivforce

Is there a cpu fan on it and if so, can you see it running?

Might be a good idea to check this.

If all else fails, I would recommend a reinstall as well, burn all important files to discs.

Originally posted by jumpy
Throttling was introduced on the p4's, so probably not throttling if its only 600mhz

You are correct sir. *Ed McMahon laugh* I read right past the 600mhz part. :eek:

Woooosh - straight over my head......

Who the hell is Ed McMahon?

Oops, sorry. I didn't even look to see that you are not in the U.S. He was a sidekick to Johnny Carson (late night talk show host). He had this certain laugh and he would always say things like "You are correct sir".

run msconfig and eliminate anything starting up that is not needed

Publishers Clearinghouse door to door, "you could be a millionare" guy.

Probably not something you see "down under". :cool:

my fan is running, i have disabled all of the files.. im really lost

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back