Windows 98 installtion help for a friend

scsa20

Simonsoft Network
okey, I'm trying to help out a friend with installing Windows 98 on a custom built system... he got it partiton and formated but whenever he tries to install, he just get errors (and I even saw the errors), one of the errors was something about true type fonts and the other was general protection error and the last I saw was something about accessing users.exe (or something)... if anyone has any sloutions, post here and I'll tell him... thanks.

Haven't install Win98 in a long long time. Is this an upgrade from another OS or a clean install? If clean, is the partition you are installing to fat32 and are you installing from DOS?
Also, is this Win98 or Win98SE?

he got a full copy (not a upgrade copy) and trying to install it on a brand new, custom built, mechian... it's just Win98 I think and he did partiton it as FAT32 and we both tried installing it from the CD, and going thru. a boot disk, different kind of errors each time.

Is the hard disk he's installing it to new as well?

I would recommend formatting it and then installing Win98. Sometimes helps.

General Protection faults are usually hardware related.

yes, everything's new, and we formated that drive like 10 times -_-'

Hmm, brand new system...

Reset the CMOS.

Recheck connects on the board are seated properly.

Are there any beeps when the PC is switched on?

Does the errors happen at the same place during installation?

Have you got another OS available that you could try, if that works then maybe its his copy of Win98.

If its crashing during setup you could have some bad RAM. I had a computer I was installing Win98 on and it kept crashing during setup (BSODs, GPF, and other errors) in setup. Try swaping the RAM out.

hmm... I'll have to tell him to check those... but the errors always happens at the first .001 second of the setup. so I'll tell him to check those and I'll get back to you 2morrow or whenever he gives me more info on the sitution.

okey, he tried all that above and it still giving him problems, any other sloutions??

Well it's either the drive or the copy of win98.
Try putting another OS like Win95 on the disk and see if that works.
If it does it's the copy of Win98 that's bad.
If it doesn't work the drive is screwed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back