Windows 98, IE, "Cannopt open the search page"

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Having a real problem here with Windows 98 computers. So far we are up to our fourth computer, that is Windows 98, where no matter what you try doing online you get the error: "Cannot open the search page". Here's the jist of it all:

1) No matter what website you go to, "Internet Explorer cannot open the search page".
2) Tries accessing www.www.whatever.com.edu, and ohter websites.
3) Manually entered in DNS, still no luck.
4) Can ping addresses, but not the names of the addresses.
5) Ran both Spybot Search and Destroy, as well as Ad-Aware, removed 516 components of Spyware, still no luck.
6) Removing and reinstalling TCP/IP stack fails, because it appears to not load it from the CD, however it loads it from somewhere on the hard disk. No idea where, no idea how to stop it, but when it loads TCP/IP it loads all of the previous settings as well.

Any ideas?

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you looked at the HOSTS file? Open it up (c:\windows\hosts) with a text editor and make sure that it's not a mess. Technically, it only has to have the entry:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Yes, the hosts file [this was something I neglected to mention] between the four computers only contains 127.0.0.1 localhost

:eek: 98? Do yourself a favor and upgrade to at least 2000

While upgrading would be nice, it should work fine under 98. I'm not sure what to recommend, especially since every 98 system is doing this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back