Windows 98 disaster

J

jasonkruys

I ave recently encountered a problem when using Windows 98. Whenever I try to do ANYTHING on the computer, such as enter display properties, run IE, windows says that it cannot find rgkhqix.exe which it requires to run the file of type 'application'. I think it may have been deleted during an AVG virus scan. I have trawled the net and found no reference to this file, so I can replace. I really cannot afford to do a full reinstall. Please help :(

My first sugestion would be to try a registry fixer like norton utilities it has fixed several problems like the one you have.

anyone with win98 post the file or something, I dont have win98 so I cant really help with this one

Originally posted by syllinx
My first sugestion would be to try a registry fixer like norton utilities it has fixed several problems like the one you have.

I would if I could, but like I said, I can't even run any applications without it telling me it cant find that file.

Is it windows 98se? Not sure :confused: to be honest its not my computer, its my g/friend's. I think it may well be 98se

Can you somehow, maybe from DOS, rename regedit.exe to regedit.com or copy regedit.exe as regedit.com?

Then try to start regedit.com.

If this should work navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
The default value should be nothing else but

"%"%*

Originally posted by yoyo
Can you somehow, maybe from DOS, rename regedit.exe to regedit.com or copy regedit.exe as regedit.com?

Then try to start regedit.com.

If this should work navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
The default value should be nothing else but

"%"%*

I'll try that when I get down there later. In the meantime, any other thoughts? Does the aforementioned file even exist in anyone elses win98 install? I have had a quick look on my 98se cd but cant see it :confused:

Hi m8
Just searched my win98se drive, it has all the latest updates on it, but as far as I'm conserned it has nothing to do with windows as it doesn't exsist on my drive. So your problem seems to be in your registry. Use norton systemworks to fix registry. If problem is still there find the offending party in file associations and delete it.

ejm

Originally posted by ejm
Hi m8
Just searched my win98se drive, it has all the latest updates on it, but as far as I'm conserned it has nothing to do with windows as it doesn't exsist on my drive. So your problem seems to be in your registry. Use norton systemworks to fix registry. If problem is still there find the offending party in file associations and delete it.

ejm

Yeah I have searched other systems as well. I would use norton to fix it, but I can't run ANYTHING without it coming up with this error, not even notepad or regedit. funny tho, cos if I go to my favourites and click on a page from the start menu, IE comes up fine, but wont if you click on the icon :confused: . Think I am going to have to tell them the bad news, that a format and re-install is required. Think I'll put Windows ME on it this time, at least them system restore might help them the next time. Obviously I will aslo advise binning AVG and getting Norton AV, I can't help but think this would never have happened with that :p

yeah I tried that, but to no avail. Hard drive is formatting as we speak :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back