• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows 98 and 512+ RAM

macromp

the retarded one
my (slightly drunk) brother-in-law asked me today if i could find anything out about this....he said he's got windows 98 and apparently it isn't compatible with over 512mb of ram (which he has, SDRAM i think)...and it makes his computer really slow...that's all i was able to make out, oh and something about v-cache...anyone have any ideas how to make it run better? i'll try and find out more when i see him next (in a sober state)

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Found this at gateway>

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much RAM is supported by Windows 98 and Windows Me?

A: Windows® 98 and Windows® Me support a maximum of 512 megabytes (MB) of random access memory (RAM).

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
You can get it to run with 512 or more (there's a thread around here somewhere..) but he may probably be better off with xp.. if you check the trading forum, BonyTony is selling a copy of XP Home for £30 ;)

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Originally posted by j79zlr
you can use 1 GB I have done it, it seems that with more than a gig ME or 98 gets impossible. Without doing this, you will get low memory errors. You should be fine as long as you add a line in the system.ini file under [vcache] to limit the virtual memory to 512MB so it looks like:

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=524288

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies