News Windows 8 Consumer Preview Available

We're a bit late getting the news out, but a Consumer Preview of Microsoft's next Operating System release is available for download.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

It's Windows reimagined and reinvented from a solid core of Windows 7 speed and reliability. It's an all-new touch interface. It's a new Windows for new devices. And it's your chance to be one of the first to try it out.

For anyone that has tried it yet, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the new interface changes they have made with Windows 8.

:source: Microsoft Windows 8 Consumer Preview Page

:source: ISO Image download

I can get past the login in information. But the start up is going to be tough. I want it to go to my desktop, not a screen full of blocks to push on. They also need to get the start menu back.

Stardock is providing a free little utility called Start8 that will bring back the start menu in the consumer preview.. a little sad that we have to resort to 3rd party tools to do things, but 3rd party "tweaks" have been a part of windows for a long time.

Stardock is providing a free little utility called Start8 that will bring back the start menu in the consumer preview.. a little sad that we have to resort to 3rd party tools to do things, but 3rd party "tweaks" have been a part of windows for a long time.

Does it give you the ability to bypass the metro ui and go straight to the desktop? I am sure they will come out with a much simpler way of doing that here soon, if it isn't already out.

It's kind of the points people raised when Office introduced ribbons. They were indeed the best way forward, but there was so much inertia to change.

Win 8 seems to be quite good. I am still split over whether the best thing was to completely revamp the Start option, especially after decades of use, but c'est la vie. I haven't really missed it that much on my test-bed.

I find it faster myself. Win 8 on the whole is much snappier. I do admit though I have the desktop and taskbar configured exactly the same as on win 7 and only use the start screen for seldom used stuff. How I use windows hasn't really changed at all.

The only problem I have with win 8 is all these silly installers that check windows version and refuse to install cos it's new despite the fact the app will work as-is if it would just get over itself :D

Couldn't be worse then ME or Vista. :rolleyes:

Nothing will be worse than ME, but with all the changes they made, this has the possibility to be worse than Vista. Not having the start button and having to deal with the stupid metro will be the biggest downfall.

I really think people are seriously over reacting. My usage of windows didn't change in 8 and 8 actually decreases the time taken to get to seldom used apps. Frequent apps can be dropped on the desktop or pinned to the task bar as in 7 so no operational change really.

It's like getting used to a new keyboard at worst.

There will apparently be a tutorial to go over some of the short-cuts and stuff.

I remember people getting annoyed when the mouse was released because they were keyboard purists. There is always inertia, but not all change is good :)

I enjoy my start menu, however I haven't had an issue thus far with my notebook running Windows 8. I do think that if they are getting rid of the start menu, why not get rid of the task bar entirely? It is basically offering redundancy to the other tools.

I went ahead and flipped my main system over to Windows 8 (x64).

Running awesomely :)

Honestly, I have no idea what the naysayers are on about. The start screen (metro) makes perfect sense and you can see a heck of a lot more on it than you can on a standard start menu. You can still make jump-lists and launch items off the desktop as you see fit.

Live tiles > static images. Oh, and it's fast as hell.

Shot of my desktop included :)

hHTGB.jpg

I'm still not impressed with Windows 8. I will probably just sit back and watch all the backlash they get from it, and then when windows 9 comes out next year; I will purchase it. Providing it isn't like windows 8.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back