News Windows 8 Consumer Preview Available

We're a bit late getting the news out, but a Consumer Preview of Microsoft's next Operating System release is available for download.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

It's Windows reimagined and reinvented from a solid core of Windows 7 speed and reliability. It's an all-new touch interface. It's a new Windows for new devices. And it's your chance to be one of the first to try it out.

For anyone that has tried it yet, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the new interface changes they have made with Windows 8.

:source: Microsoft Windows 8 Consumer Preview Page

:source: ISO Image download

I may pass on Windows 8 as, after using it since first release stages, it reminds me of a tablet OS.

I think Win 8 may fail just like Vista did.

I installed it on my vmware. I don't like it. I also think it will flop. They need to bring the start button back. Plus the start up and them requiring you to give you email address is a major no no for me.

I installed it on my vmware. I don't like it. I also think it will flop. They need to bring the start button back. Plus the start up and them requiring you to give you email address is a major no no for me.

Did it feel like a tablet to you too?

You can make a local account too. However linking it to a hotmail/windows live mail account is handy for storing settings on microsofts cloud systems.

Overall I like it.

It's snappier than windows 7 at a technical level, keyboard and mouse work quite well with the metro start ui now as well.

The change over is quite jarring though and this will be a major barrier to adoption. While faster once you adjust. Most people being human and not liking change at all will be highly resistant to adapting.

Additionally I think you're going to want a fairly high end pc purchased with mid-high end parts as at time of windows 8 release and an SSD of some sort to boot windows 8 from. Those of us still using core 2 quad/duo and the amd equivalents are not going to see much benefit from the techical under the hood stuff.

I can get past the login in information. But the start up is going to be tough. I want it to go to my desktop, not a screen full of blocks to push on. They also need to get the start menu back.

I don't think it is going to do very well, and people will stay with windows 7 till the next version comes out. That seems to be their pattern. They release a good one, and the next one sucks.

That is too much for the average user to want to do.

Not really. It is just that 95% of people are going to resist adapting to highly efficient changes in interaction because it changed, not because it is bad or slower.

Though a bit odd, from the bit I've messed with it in the VM I think the UI is nicer then 7 (a step backwards from XP IMHO). I'm not sold on it though, and why I will continue to only use Windows only in a VM. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back