Windows 7 tells me that my hard disk will fail

cpomd

OSNN Addict
This happens during installation and is reporting on a Toshiba 12GB MK121 4GAP Its an old very old Laptop meant to be running on Win98. Is there a workaround to ignore this report?

Tia

Windows will harrass you about it 3/4 times then you can tell it not to ask about it again.

Thanks for your response I have tried again a couple of times and pressed refresh but no option to ignore it has appeared. Ignoring the fail and pressing Next gives the Warning about Windows.old and after accepting that it says unable to locate a valid hard drive to store temporary files To install Windows create more free space or install a new disk. At this stage Installation is reporting I have an 11.2GB disk and 7.8GB free. Should I just give up?

Your problem is the drive is not big enough to do an upgrade.

If you want to use that drive for Win 7 then backup all your data, boot from the DVD and do a fresh install.

Thanks for your response. On a previous attempt Win 7 install said I needed 6262Mb to install So i deleted my Backup partition to achieve current available space. I am hoping that there is a workaround for the disk will fail soon so i can continue. FYI there is no CDrom available only Floppy. I am trying to install Win 7 from a network Disk. Tia

Your problem is installing Windows 7 on that old hardware. Sometimes the word upgrade should be taken as good advice.

Attachments

• intel-badge-600.jpg
    intel-badge-600.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 599
  • 618.jpg
    618.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 197
Thank you for your comment I tried formatting disk and it still shows under SMART 64 reassigned bytes. Then tried a Prog called SelfImage got as far as installing to Laptop but it reset with a partition error. Now given up the idea and am now experimenting with installing WinXP through PXE.

Sounds like a bad/failing disk, why would you want to install on a HD about to go belly up?

Especially considering how brutal Vista & 7 is on hard disks. In my opinion I would not even waste my time trying to install this OS on such old and apparently dying hardware.

Intel Matrix Storage 8.9 was failing my array. Went back to 8.8 and all was good

The disk in question is in a Toshiba Poetage 3480CT which started out as a Win98 machine. Because i have plenty of time on my hands I upgraded it to WinXP with only a USB Floppy. Just trying to push the envelope. It was given to me and has worked for me consistently whenever I tried it for experimental purposes IE adding Wireless. I do not use it for any other purpose. I hope this answers all questions.

its prob passed the 50,000 hour mark most drives are rated for that's why it claims its iffy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back