Windows 7 setup

zapoqx

Striking Master
I'll be getting Windows 7 soon. I don't know what version it is since its being sent to me as a birthday gift but I will assume its either Home Premium or Professional. I would like to do this all in one shot instead of doing all the other installs I want THEN doing the other tricks later. If people can help me prepare so I can do so, it will help me especially since my Windows 7 usage is... quite limited (even though I used Vista and had quite a bit of issues).
So this is what I'd like to do:
  1. Share folders that are user limited on the network (as in you need a user name and password to login) as I tend to go to LAN parties.
  2. Still allow my upnp to work on the network (for things like Foobar2k using the upnp sharing as opposed to Windows Media Player upnp sharing)
  3. Install Windows 7 in a way so that my Windows install and swap files is on one partition and program files, documents/user files/folder in another (I have seen this done in XP and still don't know how to do it).

I guess I'm hoping number 2 is still possible with number 1. Number 3 is so if I have to fix windows for whatever reason, it should be easier.

Also, any tips would be useful for Windows 7.

Finally, the last part that I'm questioning...
  • Is Microsoft Security Essentials, Antivir, or Kaspersky the recommended choice as a anti-virus software?
  • Any useful programs for Windows 7 that I should know about?
  • Should I make 2 accounts? One for installing and whatever, the other as limited?

Sorry, I know, its long winded. Thanks to any assistance provided.

Edit: Completed and thanks all!

Last edited:
Number 3 is fairly easy to do actually.

In the setup of any program instead of just clicking through which would be C:/Program Files/whatever you change the C to D or whatever drive you want. Not sure how you move the user file folder in 7 but you could always create a shortcut to your file on the second drive and/or partition.

As for security software its more of a personal choice but I would suggest either Eset or Vipre.

There are programs etc out there to tweak varies settings but you can also fubar the system using them.

I've been generally lucky running one account but again to me thats more of personal choice though suggestions are useful

Number 3 is fairly easy to do actually.

In the setup of any program instead of just clicking through which would be C:/Program Files/whatever you change the C to D or whatever drive you want. Not sure how you move the user file folder in 7 but you could always create a shortcut to your file on the second drive and/or partition.

Thanks for the response chastity...
But no, Like at a college, On one of the game machines (that are gone these days), they had Windows XP and swap files installed on Drive C (allocating 8GB total for install and swap) and had the Docs and Settings as well as Program Files in Drive D.
I've also seen this done on a few of my friends Acer laptops that do that as well with the i386 folder in the same drive as well as a factory default failsafe reinstall.

And in all cases, whenever an install would happen, it just defaulted to point at the program files on Drive D in all those cases.

I figured I was going to reinstall MyDefrag on Windows 7, but my father has told me to give a program called PC Tuner a chance as it should optimize my system and such.
I was planning to also add Ad-aware for the malware/adware removal on the off chances I get one.
I just was debating about using Antivir Personal Edition, with the tricks, its not that bad, but last I remember on the reviews, it was better at catching Viruses on the fly than Microsoft Security Essentials (though it did well on its own during scans). I didn't want to deal with Kaspersky because it didn't handle well with some games I played. It was slowing down some games I should have handled with proper speed just to find out it was actively scanning the files as it was being used. Annoying when loading levels and sound files. So I would have to tell Kaspersky to not scan those folders and I'd get a dramatic increase. On the off-chance I had to disable it to play something, I'd have substantial increases to performance.

Anyways, that is my info.

Sounds like they might have had custom installers and/or settings that automatically installed the programs etc to drive D.

In XP moving the user documents was easy sadly it seems they've made more of a challenge in 7.

As for malware removal Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Webroot Spy Sweeper, PC Tool Spyware Doctor and Spybot Search and Destroy cover most everything I've run across. As I said the anti-virus/internet security software is more of a personal choice based on what your looking for.

I'll see if I can find information on how to have a setup routine default to different drive

putting non-portable apps on a seperate drive is a waste of time. Keep windows and programs on one disk, swap on another disk, first partition, data on another partition.

If you make sure you have a limited user accoount to do your day to day stuff and a seperate admin account to do stuff, then install msse as various independant testers show it to be the best free AV available for windows then you'll be fine :)

Sounds like they might have had custom installers and/or settings that automatically installed the programs etc to drive D.
Indeed...

In XP moving the user documents was easy sadly it seems they've made more of a challenge in 7.
Of course they would.

As for malware removal Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Webroot Spy Sweeper, PC Tool Spyware Doctor and Spybot Search and Destroy cover most everything I've run across. As I said the anti-virus/internet security software is more of a personal choice based on what your looking for.
I don't think I've ever heard of Malwarebytes' software. As for Webroot, I never liked it. Usually bogged down my system for some reason. Good to see though that Spybot is still good on Win 7.

I'll see if I can find information on how to have a setup routine default to different drive
Thanks!

putting non-portable apps on a seperate drive is a waste of time. Keep windows and programs on one disk, swap on another disk, first partition, data on another partition.
Interesting. I never had a problem with programs running from another disk. Why so bad?

If you make sure you have a limited user accoount to do your day to day stuff and a seperate admin account to do stuff, then install msse as various independant testers show it to be the best free AV available for windows then you'll be fine :)
Now what is considered "day to day" stuff?
I'm mostly a gamer, sometimes work on a few minor projects here and there.

Well hopefully... drivers will not be the issue I'll be facing... again... hopefully.

Hey all, so I wanted to bump this thread up.
I did get Windows 7 installed and everything seems to run fine. I'm using 64-bit version and it is Windows 7 Home Premium (so slight downer that it isn't professional).
Anyways, I still can't see how to setup the password protected sharing yet. But after seeing and remembering the whole "Is this a Home Network, Work Network, or Public" I hopefully won't see it as a problem.

I'm updating the original post to just cross off things as it should be over with now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back