News Windows 7 Released to Manufacturing

Brandon LeBlanc has announce that Windows 7 has officially been released to manufacturing and now preparations can begin for its official release in October.

I am pleased to announce that Windows 7 has RTM’d!

As I mentioned previously, RTM officially happens only after sign-off occurs. What happens is a build gets designated as a RTM contender after going through significant testing and meeting our quality bar for RTM. Then, it goes though all the validation checks required for RTM including having all languages of that build completed. If all the validation checks have passed – sign-off for RTM can occur. Today after all the validation checks were met, we signed off and declared build 7600 as RTM.

Not only is RTM an important milestone for us – it’s also an important milestone for our partners. Today’s release is the result of hard work and collaboration with our partners in the industry to make Windows 7 a success. We delivered Windows 7 with a predictable feature set on a predictable timetable that allowed OEMs to focus on value and differentiation for their customers.

Our customers told us what they want (and expect) and we defined those specific experiences and then built features to support them (like HomeGroup and the Windows Taskbar enhancements). Our customers also told us that “fundamentals” on both the hardware and software side was extremely important. Windows 7 today runs great on the broadest array of hardware types ranging from netbooks to high-end gaming machines. We worked closely with OEMs so that their PCs delight customers with the new features in Windows 7.

OEMs will recieve copies very soon and MSDN/Technet users will have access to the operating system starting August 6th. For more information on the various dates check out the blog below.

:source: News Source: Windows Team Blog via Neowin

Last edited:
Well I don't think they have announced what build it is yet, I guess we will know for sure when the OEMs get it in two days but the current thought is that is still 7600.16385.090713-1255

Edit: yup, has been confirmed!

does anyone know what the huyge delay between rtm, oems getting it and being able to buy it in a shop?

is it that these oems have paid a lot of money to get it first?

i cant believe its a production issue, dvds can be made in their millions every week.

infact why dont they just put it up for download right now? msdn can get it 6th aug (why even the delay for that?, if its done then its done.....) so why not let people sign up for a key and download it online right now? none of it makes any sense. they could put a few big servers dishing it out as torrents and they wouldnt even need to get swamped by bandwidth.

The whole world will know its finished.......and cant get it for 3 months.

perhaps its to allow them to start on the bug fixes and service packs so its ready when the thing is release lol

Well they will have started ages ago, but OEMs will need to prepare images to ship with their machines and get their support staf trained up etc.

As for the MSDN delay, not sure :)
It was on the web a week ago anyway :eek:

granted oems will need to sort themselves out, but why does that stop them putting it in shops for people to buy or online for people to download right now? seems very very odd to me to have a huge quarter of a year delay between it being finished and being able to get it.

Well alot of that will be training support staff, it was no different with Windows Vista which went RTM on November 8th 2006 and went retail on January 30th 2007.

Although the beta has been far more public this time around, alot of non-tech-savvy folks around where I live (granted in the middle of nowhere) haven't even heard of Windows 7 yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back