Windows 7 Installs

N

Not Bman

I have a Windows 7 x64 RTM cd key. I know that you can install them on 10 computers total, 3 per month. My question is how do you un-register a key, say if I want to move that install to a new computer without using up another of those 10 installs?

Is there a tool that can tell me where each key is installed, and any other information about it?

Also, I got the Key from Technet (do not have an account no longer). If I give this key out to a friend, or family member, and call Microsoft for help, am I legal/legit? Do these keys last for ever? Or do they expect this keys only to be used for business alone. I know that is the base reason for the technet rtm keys, but.

Last edited by a moderator:
you just call MS and say its installed on one pc - key reactivated :)

So I call, say hey I installed this on a new computer.

They will move one install (of those 10) from one to another?

yeah... once it doesnt activate anymore, call them

So I call, say hey I installed this on a new computer.

They will move one install (of those 10) from one to another?

No you call and say it's installed on one computer, not a new one :)

I believe that since you got it from technet, you're 'supposed' to stop using it once your subscription ends as it's evaluation software.

Ok let's clear this up.

Yes technically once a technet subscription is done you are suppose to not use those keys anymore. Let's just ignore that for now.

I have 2 Windows 7 x64 RTM keys that I am trying to keep track off. Currently the first key is installed on 4 computers in my home. The second key is installed on one other system.

I know that each key can be used/registered 10 times. I want to make it so those 10 times last as long as possible, as in say I want to reformat and reinstall, I don't want to lose another one of those 10 registrations, but instead transfer the key I was using onto my reformatted system, or as another example onto a whole new system.

Now I understand I am getting into things that might be illegal or not exactly proper to do, but I can't find any information on this, so I have to ask here.

From what I got from you guys is that I can't call Microsoft and tell them to move my key from one computer to the next, but instead when I try to use it later on once all 10 activations/registrations are used up, then call and say I want to use it again. Am I getting this all correct.

Please explain further if you can. Thanks.

yeah... well, maybe you could, but its weird ;D no one calls em while they still have activations left

phone activation is more like a last resort thing, or in case you dont have internet

I don't see what it really matters.

Calling Microsoft is no big deal at all and they have NEVER declined to give me a code to activate XP or Vista (when I used it). I have activated XP hundreds of times now.

Even an OEM install I moved to another System with a different chipset. You just have to give the right answers to the questions.

However, I have never heard of one key you can use for different computers at the same time which I think violates the EULA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back