Windows 7 - First Impressions

I am using the latest Setpoint drivers for my G11 keyboard, seems to work great. Then again I don't have a G15 keyboard with all those crazy features.

Only the screen, really. Not much else is different.

I no longer use fancy apps on the screen, besides game profiles.

I do have a question about RTM keys.

Is there an easy to to un-register a computer? Say I want to move one computer that has Windows 7 on it to a brand new computer, how can I do that?

I really like windows 7. Even using my old athlon xp system with 1.5 gigs of ram it runs pretty smooth. I just really hate the uac with vista and the incompatibility of some older programs i use.I have yet to have a problem using 7

I do have a question about RTM keys.

Is there an easy to to un-register a computer? Say I want to move one computer that has Windows 7 on it to a brand new computer, how can I do that?
I don't think this is possible like you can do for products from Adobe, but, if you run into issues activating the different PC, a quick call to MS will take care of it for you.

I really love Windows 7. Everything runs so smoothly. The only problem is that my sound card does not work because it is a bit outdated. I have looked everywhere, and it seems that there is no driver update for my sound card.

Win 7 seems to be quick (compared to a copy of XP that outlived 2 HD's), but the UI is horrible and a complete step backwards. MS has made it so you have to wade through countless menus to do anything. It's neither user friendly or "power user" friendly, they tried to hard to copy *nix/Apple and instead come out with a twisted up can of worms of a UI. :(

*edit* - if you bought into the Vista thing (aka Win 7 paid demo) the UI is the same difference.

So everyone of my friends, online or not love Windows 7, and most of them are tech people and know how to really get along with a computer. My father is using XP at the moment, and that is all he has ever used (besides the older OS's). This week he is putting together his new computer that I helped get. And I will be installing Windows 7 on it.

This will be a real test to how well created Windows 7 is, I will write back with his experience, and what he likes and hates, and what he has problems with. I am sure I will get annoyed, and be like OH COME ON THATS EAASY! lol

Win 7 seems to be quick (compared to a copy of XP that outlived 2 HD's), but the UI is horrible and a complete step backwards. MS has made it so you have to wade through countless menus to do anything. It's neither user friendly or "power user" friendly, they tried to hard to copy *nix/Apple and instead come out with a twisted up can of worms of a UI. :(

*edit* - if you bought into the Vista thing (aka Win 7 paid demo) the UI is the same difference.

For the most part, I would agree with your UI comments. If you're a power user in XP, it can be frustrating working in Vista where most of the settings now take a couple extra steps to get to the screens you want. Many of the .msc's and .cpl's are the same and still work to get to where I want to go - which is my bread and butter - I only tend to go to the mouse only when I absolutely need to.. so it was a fairly easy transition for me.. in fact, in some ways, having the search/run bar default when hitting the "start" key, is faster for me to pull up the things I want with just the keyboard..

For most non-power users though, I think it does make things a little easier to deal with and by hiding/obfuscating some of the things, it has made it more friendly to the non-power users - this view is taken from how my wife and kids operated between XP and Vista... they do actually get around faster in the Vista UI to what they want.

But, as I said above, for the power-user or the technical user, it is a step back in many ways. Having gotten used to the Vista UI, the Win7 shift has been an easy one for me. It took me a while and I cursed the Vista UI for many weeks before I finally sucked it up and learned the "new" way..

Windows 7 is damn fast and it has inbuillt fnctionality to utilize the dual core processor and its efficient use... its much faster than vista when it comes to logging in and out... and evoking from sleep...

other thing to be kept in mind is that it uses lesser disk space than Vista

Yea Windows 7 kills all other Windows.

Install is 10 to 12 Minutes. Boot Up is 10x faster, everyday use is much faster. I installed windows 7 on a machine that had xp, and older machine, and it works so much better now.

Windows 7 home premium works on 512 ram too(professional edition and above it don't work below 1 gb ram) , but lags slightly. But that and processor is not a major prob, The biggest thing is Graphic memory, integrated GMA 900 , 950 doesn't do well with it, most of the graphic memory is taken by aero theme itself, leaving very little for other works, So it lags if some kind of Graphic drawing takes place suddenly. Specially if its a game, If u have any intel integrated graphic below gma 3100, don't install games on windows 7. They won't give proper fps = won't work.

any graphic card dedicated would do, even 128 MB cards, nvidia , ati both will work very efficiently.

other problem is harddisk access, both vista and win 7 show that, specially if u r running old Parallel ATA based harddrives. New SATA based doesn't much has problems. But Still All those people whos system lags a little, or hangs at time for few second, Consider Shutting off virtual memory, Thats is paging memory inside a hdd. That will improve working performance. And if u don't wanna switch it off, Just make it to minimum required which is 377 mb or more , So that windows can work virtual memory normally and Can write Errors reports and Other data If ever ur system crashes.

people are saying win 7 is pretty much same as vista, Yes at the core it is, not much of a difference. But at performance its much better that vista. copying, installation, compressing, encrypting etc all works faster in win 7. Even task handling and dumping.

win 7 eliminates all major weaknesses of vista. I have been xp user for years. I used vista only twice for 2 days each, i never liked it. But win 7 is performing really good, Even better than xp in some areas. Not graphic tough.

any os after xp is graphic resource hog.

But ill still say win7 is better.

in its rtm and rc stages it showing slight compatibility problems with old softwares, but its still working. lots of softwares don't work, Specially antiviruses meant for lower os. Drivers not working. Compilers, like old visual studio 2005 it also giving errors. some other softwares which include hardware accesses give errors sometimes too. Old 16 bit softs r not working at all.

But any new software made for vista, or win 7 r performing much better than vista. win 7 already included most of drivers so Not much installation is needed to run hardwares.

I would say its an improvement shown by microsoft with releasing win 7.

I have not used the beta of Windows7 but I bet it would mark a radical shift from Vista.

I started with Windows98 on a P3 system and then I moved to xp. I still continue to use xp on my home system.I have been using Vista on the college laptop.The UAC is somewhat of an irritation though.

I have never understood the hate Windows campaign and the motives behind the campaign.The software is somewhat pricey but the same can be stated about the software provided by Apple. The open source software is simply beyond the abilities of the lay user.

I am surprised to hear that Windows7 would allow the users to remove Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.The software maker from Redmond had to go through lengthy litigations across the world.Microsoft was and is still accused of curtailing consumer choice.Find me another operating system that does not come with a browser or a media player.So every maker of OS should be tried in courts.

It would have been a real infringement of consumer choice if Microsoft prevented users from installing non-Microsoft software on Windows.

Just installed my Windows 7 ultimate 64bit on my main rig listed in sig and I am very happy up to this point it is fast and seems very smooth, will see how games run tommorow.

I used to hate UAC, but then I realized what a minor tradeoff it is compared to the security benefits it provides. It's a quick and (mostly) painless way to do security.

Windows 7 is on 4 out of 4 computers in my household (mine, wife's, laptop, HTPC).

I've had a few software crashes with Win7 much to my dismay. IE crashed (not surprised) but I think that had to do with a bad website or something, and the real bummber was the Windows Speech Recognition software, I had high hopes for that. But otherwise, as previously stated it is fast, and I really like Ready Boost/Sleep, it's like having a computer that can boot in about 2 seconds! My games run great, and the built-in media center works great with my ATI TV card. Glad I waited past Vista. :)

I used to hate UAC, but then I realized what a minor tradeoff it is compared to the security benefits it provides. It's a quick and (mostly) painless way to do security.

I still do not want it so I rename the administrator account to my name (AFAIK you can only do this with Pro or Ultimate) then enable that account. I don't need or want any pop ups, virtualization of files, folders or registry entries.

There are plenty of ways to turn off UAC, and I always turn it off as well ... dont want or need it

There are plenty of ways to turn off UAC, and I always turn it off as well ... dont want or need it

Ya but if you run on the administrator account then UAC is mute...you can leave it on as it is disabled plus there is no virtualizing of files or folders to different areas. The program files directory can be written to so any changes made to files (like configs, keys or ini files, mailboxes, etc.) are in the directory of the program or the programs data folder.

I don't want to look in different folders to find the file(s) that were modified and I don't want virtualized registry entries. :laugh:

I believe in KISS!

I use the real Admin account, too, AZ. Did that in Vista, too. That way if for any reason I ever do create other user accounts on my computer, then those accounts will have UAC enabled.

If UAC is off, is the account actually truly equivalent to the full Admin account? Never need "Run as Admin" and such? Or does it just not prompt you, NOR elevate automatically? I'll have to test this with something later...

if you disable UAC all accounts listed as "administrator" run as a full admin without privilege escalation operating as they do with UAC enabled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back