Windows 7 - First Impressions

That still didnt answer my question...

I believe until a final RTM is out you still have to uninstall the old version and install the new one bman. Isn't that how all of them are

I don't know how they intend to distribute the release candidate.
I imagine it will be public as the beta was to be honest but last time around they were simply not prepared for the demand.

From what I have gathered, 7077 is potentially the RC build although it may well be tagged as 7105, the latter being built 20 mins prior.

I think the only difference is that 7105 is the start of a new branch and without a little tweaking - already documented - will not allow upgrades from previous builds of Windows 7 (as they don't really want that tested as it won't really be needed once the beta ends)

Currently running 7077 and noticed a few enchancements to WMC as well as common tasks appearing on the startmenu links for both WMP and IE

I am updating to a new version, i don't remember my beta key.

How do I extract it, or find it again?

um, i just installed 7077, first time ive used 7.

on task manager at the bottom where it lists number of processes, cpu usage % and memory usage %, i had it showing the actual value of used mem/total mem, this isnt shown there now

also i can no longer get into the "documents and settings" folder and a couple of others. it shows a padlock and just refuses to let me in it! i have turned off UAC completely.

and ive now just discovered a padlock icon on the nvidia drivers i just downloaded, on some mpg files and wmv files and even on a random pdf!!!! right clicking a file going to properties says it came from another computer, i can click the unblock button but the padlock remains. what the hell is this crap? can i just turn it off completely or what? regardless of the padlock the files still run anyway but i dont want stupid random padlock icons all over the place for a start.

and the strangest of problems, playing something in winamp, i load TF2, no effect on the sound. but as soon as actually i join a game the sound volume is greatly reduced (the in game volume is also much lower than expected). i am using the x-fi windows 7 beta drivers. no idea why it would change the sound volume when entering a game. it resets the volume back to normal as soon as i exit the game.

also noticed that it keeps changing the desktop picture, but i can find no option to disable this, change the rotation or change the time between screens?

Last edited:
also i can no longer get into the "documents and settings" folder and a couple of others. it shows a padlock and just refuses to let me in it! i have turned off UAC completely.

'Documents and Settings' (among others) no longer exists. I believe the file that you're looking at is just to keep poorly written programs from writing directly to those locations instead of using system variables to find the correct place.

The folder you're looking for has been 'Users' since Vista... and some of the folders inside have been moved around as well.

As far as the background changing... right click on your desktop and choose 'Personalize'... you'll find what you're looking for there.

There are new things in the sound mixer... including the ability to set volume for individual programs. I'd look into that for your sound issues with your game.

hmmm im pretty certain ive been using that folder in vista. yeah found the option to change background timing hidden in an obscure link as MS loves to to.

Cant find sound mixer at all, but I believe i just found the problem with TF2 and sound going very quiet, under "sound" in control panel there is a tab called communications which supposedly adjusts the volume if you use the pc to make or receive phonecalls. i am guessing that because TF2 has voice communication (which i do not use anyway) it thinks im making a call and reducing the sound. ive just turned this option off now.

I have been noticing a very bad problem with mouse clicks, for some reason it isnt registering a lot of my mouse clicks first time and i have to click more than once, i know it isnt the mouse as it isnt an issue in-game or when testing in the driver app (razer deathadder) so it must be to do with windows. this is on single and double clicks, it doesnt want to register a lot of the first clicks.

and what about all these padlock icons on these files in explorer?

Well welcome form windows 7, x64 build 7077. First impressions have I not put my vista disc in by mistake? Being fair with it there are some nice new features. The Libraries in particular have my interest :D I did not find vista on the slow side, this might be slightly snappier but I don't know if I am just convincing myself of that......
Will update with my other findings :D

I have been noticing a very bad problem with mouse clicks, for some reason it isnt registering a lot of my mouse clicks first time and i have to click more than once, i know it isnt the mouse as it isnt an issue in-game or when testing in the driver app (razer deathadder) so it must be to do with windows. this is on single and double clicks, it doesnt want to register a lot of the first clicks.

I had that issue for a while... Something is stealing focus and when you want to click on something then the first click gets eaten (Selects the app you want) and you have to click again (or double click)

It bugged the hell out of me for about two weeks and then disappeared. I'm guessing driver issue? Could even be the wallpaper rotation for all I know... I've got that disabled now as well. I never really noticed exactly when it disappeared.

No idea about any padlock icons on random files... never seen that issue.

Well welcome form windows 7, x64 build 7077. First impressions have I not put my vista disc in by mistake? Being fair with it there are some nice new features. The Libraries in particular have my interest :D I did not find vista on the slow side, this might be slightly snappier but I don't know if I am just convincing myself of that......
Will update with my other findings :D

did they add the ability to add icons to custom libraries?

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Stabbing Westward - Angel

Documents and Settings in both Vista and 7 is actually a fake folder so to speak for legacy applications and will actually be relocating you to the new correct location.

I forget the correct term for them but there are quite a few of them in Vista and I expect they will have to remain for 7, hopefully for 8 :)D) they will finally be able to get rid of them and strip it all down, oh and drop 32bit ;p

yeah, thats pretty cool about vista/7

there are also those fake folders in case you use a different language like, "archivos de programa" opens "program files", while in xp they would have to be 2 different folders.
quite convenient :]

yup. I agree with fake folders. It does make it easier.

would be nice ot hide these fake folders from view. its taking up unwanted space every time i open explorer, if its a redundant folder, provide a way to hide it (while still allowing me to see normal 'hidden' files)

apart from the mouse problem it seems like a minor upgrade to vista to me. not noticed anything being faster, just the odd new option dotted around. seems to me this could have just been a service pack, i see nothing to get excited about. no doubt tweaks here and there in the background but this seems a minor upgrade to me and i can see why its apparently ahead of schedule.

ill end up getting it because ill want proper ssd support but other than that im not fussed at all.

whats the latest build, i might test it out again - i have my beta code still somewhere :p

would be nice ot hide these fake folders from view. its taking up unwanted space every time i open explorer, if its a redundant folder, provide a way to hide it (while still allowing me to see normal 'hidden' files)

apart from the mouse problem it seems like a minor upgrade to vista to me. not noticed anything being faster, just the odd new option dotted around. seems to me this could have just been a service pack, i see nothing to get excited about. no doubt tweaks here and there in the background but this seems a minor upgrade to me and i can see why its apparently ahead of schedule.

ill end up getting it because ill want proper ssd support but other than that im not fussed at all.

You can hide them

You can hide them

not through any option thats visible to me

my mouse clicking problem has gone. no idea what caused it, but I just got a new Razer Salmosa and damn I love this thing already after 2 hours of use.

Last edited:
not through any option thats visible to me

my mouse clicking problem has gone. no idea what caused it, but I just got a new Razer Salmosa and damn I love this thing already after 2 hours of use.

Right click on the folder and select properties. then select hide ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back