Windows 7 and MKV

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
seems it can play it but it doesn't by default - to get it working under x64 i had to grab the x64 mkv muxer and splitter from media player classic site.

To get MCE to see mkvs you will need to go to the reg entry below and add the information

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.MKV" - Change default vaule to this
"Content Type"="video/matroska" - add this as string
"PerceivedType"="video" - add this as string

on x86 haali media splitter will do this for you.

Or grab the txt file on this post and change it to mkv.reg and run it

edit: seems that ffdshow and win7 dont like each other too much and can cause some issues, i hit one with mkv - cant play them with ffdshow install, can if its not installed

Last edited:
mkv are playing with windows7/codec pack package here.

Would like to find a mkv joiner/dvdburner app though.

Thanks 3D,

Heeter

under x64 if you install ffdshow mkvs dont play - uninstall them and windows own codecs play them fine. Its not the first place i have seen that has said about it, CCCP codec pack looks 32bit not 64 :)

mkvtoolsnix - for mkv stuff
imgburn - for dvd burning

Thanks 3D,

I am testing 7077 x64 here at this office.

Heeter

7100 x64 - all my anime MKV's play fine with CCCP and MPC :)

That's the point.

You should be able to use WMC with just some codec's and NO MPC.

I like MPC myself but I prefer to have my libraries available to me while using mymovies.name and running it natively in WMC.

7 supports most formats, but no .mkv support natively afaik.

Hi Sazar,

I am playing mkv in the 7077 x64 windows media player right now. I am using WMP 12.0.7077.0 version.

Heeter

saz if you do as i said in first post 7 will pay mkv fine :)

I know.

Lord's post was about playing mkv's with MPC.

I do that on my Vista machine but on my Win 7 machine, it plays fine with the cole2k pack.

i havent installed a single codec yet as they all play (well apart from the splitter and reg entry)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back