Windows 3.1 - Nostalgia

H

hw|Cobra

Hi all,

I still believe that Windows 3.1 was really stable.

Even more stable than XP?

What do you think?

Cobra :cool:

I just sold an old 386 laptop that still had 3.1. I was always impressed how fast it ran on a 386.

possibly
The way i see it though is that we wheren't running things such as UT2003 and various other games, multiple copies of IE along with IRC/MSN/E-Mail/Download apps all at the same time.
i think the most complex things i ever ran in Windows 3.1 where a GameBoy emulator and Microsoft Works :)

Got a point there, SpeedyB.

I had this old Grand Prix game that I loved... Too bad it's gone.

I doubt it'd work on Windows XP anyway!

aaaah, i think i know the one you mean, and i have it on disk somewhere! i remember as about a month back someone wanted me to see if they're 386 laptop still worked or not, but we could only get into dos so i sat they're playing Grand Prix ^_^

I wana get Win 3.11 and run it through VMware now, wana re-live the memories :p

Do you sit in a red car, in driver's view and you have two mirrors?

Damn, I remember that..

Hey, Speedy, do you have a Radeon?

Nope, GeForce 2mx, you can tell i try my best to stay current :p

That was GP1 right. I sold that at a car boot sale a few weeks back!! No wrong - I donated it to a charity shop :D

That was a good game. I seem to recall Brands Hatch had a really good feeling of going up to a blind rise and then dropping back down into a corner...

I'm choking up now :(

But you're right W 3.1 was a revelation over DOS :>

It's just a shame that XP DOS prompt isn't able to run all those old games etc... why can't M$ address that issue?

Grendel

BTW my Dad told me all about DOS, I of course am too young to remember all that ancient stuff(!)

It's not so ancient buddy.

The game does bring a tear eh?

And what about Chips Challenge, Sokoban?

Posted by hw|Cobra
It's not so ancient buddy.

The game does bring a tear eh?

And what about Chips Challenge, Sokoban?

lot :( drip, drip!

My fav' 3.1 game mmmhhh:

Well most ran under DOS didn't they? Had to be DOOMII / Xwing or Tie fighter.

Grrrrendel

But when you think of the advance we've had in technology.. it makes you think.

I think for amusement I'm going to install Windows 3.11 on my
AMD XP 1900, 1024MB DDR PC2700 , IBM 120GXP 120GB, and see how fast it boots ( or how many incompatibility errors it gives me and doesn't boot :p )

I tried running a windows 95 bootable hdd from my old pII 233Hz, on my new p4 1.8GHz machine. But it wasn't having any of it!! Wouldn't even boot up.

Mub's

Nighty nighty! Watch out for spooks and ghouls :eek:

I don't think 3.1 will work on anything faster than a 486 and windows 95 will crash like mad if it is installed on anything faster than a 500mhz

I lost my Windows 95 CD about 3 years ago somewhere in my house, I haven't seen it since :p

I don't miss it at all.

I still have all of the Windows 95 releases somewhere. I am a pack rat when it comes to software.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back