Windows 2003 Server R2 Beta

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
This beta is available for a free 180-day trial download.

Requires a passport, and registration with MS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/R2/default.mspxhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/R2/trial/default.mspx

/is downloading now :)

I stumbled across this because I was looking for something else, and found Paul Thorott's FAQ about the release, and it peaked my interest.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/win2003_r2.asp

All you Paul Thurott fans might find it funny that you get a "Stack overflow at line 143" error when visiting that page, lol. Silly FrontPage users!

can't seem to find too much about when the beta was released, but most of the "first" articles where around July 7th. Keep in mind, it's only a beta, and although rumors are speculating it will be delayed, Microsoft stands firm that it will ship within Q4 of 2005.

EDIT: One of the neat features I've always wanted is to be able to right-click on a PC within ADUC and be able to Remote Desktop to it. SMS has always had this feature, and I think MS is trying to phase that product out, especially with WSUS available...?

EDIT: ya know what, I think I'm going to run this as my main OS, I'm getting bored with XP

No reason it should have been in beta so long really, its just like an integrated-release-administrators-kit of sp1.

Right, to an extent, at least IMO :)

I think the reason why it's in Beta so long is because it will actually replace 2003 server platform-wide. Can you imagine the crapstorm that would arise if they released this version and it failed in some big corporation?

Granted, it would be their own responsibility to manage backups, but if they migrated fully, and no longer had legal licensing for the OS pre-R2, they would be F'ed

What does R2 stand for?

Is it Win2003SP2?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

its basically Release 2, in the same way Windows 98 had a second release, not really worth upgrading from 2003 on in a domain anyway.

Has anyone successfully downloaded this? The e-mail I got said it was 93mb, but it's 500+. I have tried numerous times and it keeps timing out around 400mb or so.... :(

wow thats the most long winded "i want to download this" registration form ever hehehe

LordOfLA said:
wow thats the most long winded "i want to download this" registration form ever hehehe

Yeah, the form was a P.O.S., but hey it's free :)

And after about a week of attempts, I was finally able to get the D/L to finish. Maybe I should have downloaded it before posting :lick:

Electronic Punk said:
its basically Release 2, in the same way Windows 98 had a second release, not really worth upgrading from 2003 on in a domain anyway.

I agree, not in a domain, especially a huge one. But since I'm doing this self-paced MCSE stuff, I want to get my hands on whatever I can. Perhaps I'll do a review for OSNN, of course throwing my self at the feet of the approval department :eek:

kcnychief said:
Yeah, the form was a P.O.S., but hey it's free :)

And after about a week of attempts, I was finally able to get the D/L to finish. Maybe I should have downloaded it before posting :lick:

Contact your ISP - mine D/L in 1 hr 10 min.... last night after reading about it on another forum.
It's no big jump... as said earlier in thread, just a rolled up edition.... all the hotfixes dumped in. My image of 2003 enterprise is already at that stage, I integrate each hotfix in order into it. :)

Yeah, well I actually downloaded it in 12 minutes once it worked. I tried from home and at work, I think the site was in heavy load at the time.

Did you download and install it? I did a fresh install this morning and it's asking for CD 2 :(

And you are wrong, there are software differences, have you seen this article?
http://www.winsupersite.com/FAQ/win2003_r2.asp

I just read in ComputerWeekly that R2 is scheduled to be released today, has anyone heard anything?

No, I haven't heard any thing about a potential release date. I would assume that is a bit quick after the release of SP1 though.

Well it has been in development alot longer than SP1 was.

Well yes. We'll see. I'm in no hurry. I still haven't deployed Exchange Server 2003 SP2.

Yes I saw :)

But here is what I saw
Microsoft Launches major Windows Server 2003 upgrade
Microsoft is today (6 December) due to release an update for its Windows Server 2003 operating system. The second major release, R2, has new technology to improve security and help to extend applications to users in diverse locations. Microsoft said that users with servers covered by Software Assurance or Enterprise Agreements would be eligible to use R2 in place of their current software.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back