Windows 2003 Server folder attributes

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I got a folder in my webserver (Windows 2003, MySQL, Apache) that will not change it's attributes, I want to remove the "Read-only" attribute. I have done like a ton of times, and every time I recheck the folder the "Read-Only" is checked off again. I need this folder full write permission so I can continue configging the DataBase.

Is there a way to permenantly change the attribute to full write?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

When I look in the properties of this folder, I fill in all the checkmarks for "Full Control" and when I click apply, it erases the checkmarks. Now I don't know why it's doing that,

Heeter

Confused by your second post, but that's my fault cuz I'm uber-exhausted, so not sure if you have this resolved or not but I'll try anyways :D

You should be using NTFS permissions (off built-in accounts) on files/folders when dealing with a server. The read-only tick will get overwritten by it, and even if it stays it won't apply.

I am in the propeties of the folder and I try through there, but it doesn't work either.

Maybe I am not going through the right way.

I moved the folder to a XP Pro workstation and I am still not being able to remove the "Read-only" function.

Thanks,

Heeter

Again, I could be mis-understanding, BUT

You should use NTFS permissions, and the NTAUTH from the user trying to access the folder SHOULD over-ride folder level permissions.

Have you tried that?

-edit-

Try this:

Make sure you can see hidden files/folders

Find the desktop.ini file located in the folder, for example -

Let's call the folder "READONLY"

Navigate to C:\READONLY\desktop.ini

right-click on desktop.ini, remove the read-only attribute

Also can be done from the CMD line -

attrib -r <Drive:>\Folder\Desktop.ini

Hope that helps ya ;)

Well I have tried everything you said and still nothing. I cannot get this folder to drop it's readonly permission. Oh well.

Thanks for your help, KC. I think that I am just gonna find another application that might let me do this better.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back