Windows 2003, Build-Your-Own GPO. You have the power!

Should we start this weekly thread?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waste of time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
So I was surfing through my GPO, and I was wondering about the opinion of others. So here is what I suggest...

Each Wednesday I personally take the responsibility of starting a new thread, and people can weigh in on their opinions. I will post how I have each policy configured, and the floor will be open. For example, I would probably start with Computer Configuration, and then focus (the first week) on Software Settings. Incrementing each week. I have created a poll, the results of this poll will decide if I do it or not.

I'm not trying to "Threadcrap", but I figure this should incur some interesting debates....

I'm game. I always like to read opinions. GPO is very powerful and it would be good for me to hear what others are doing (in case I'm not).

I will let this poll run through next Tuesday. Tuesday night, if the approval rate is over 75%, I will post the first new thread the following Wednesday. Just an FYI....

Of course, it doesn't need to be a new thread each and every time. We could have a Windows Server Group Policy thread and raise a new topic each week within that thread.

A new thread each week might become too much for some.

Yeah, good point. I could do that, however towards the end the thread may get to be like 20-30 pages, and that may be long.

If anyone comments, also comment on if you think we should do weekly threads or all one longggg thread.

I figure, if we do weekly, we could also name the thread "Computer Configuration, Software Settings" etc. Easier to track things.

I'm game. I think a new thread each week would work out better. Split threads are always easier and better to read

Sounds great! I look forward to learning some new stuff from you guys. If you think it's easier to tag weekly threads, go for it. If you think a long thread might be more suitable, we can always start new ones when the existing ones get too long, sort of like what we already do for the Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion and support thread.

Go with whatever works better for you. :)

We are on track to be above 75%, a little shocked there hasn't been more interest though :suprised:

GPOs are fun and don't even need to be for just domain machines, alot of hidden options in there :)

Well the results are in, votes have been counted, and the people have spoken! W00000000t!

I will be creating said threads, first one will be tomorrow. I'm actually building a fresh server right now. I'm going to call it OSNNSRV. :nervous:

We can decide how to configure it together, maybe eventually I can setup VPN connections for all of you to connect in, muhahahahaha:laugh:

I'm looking forward to some good old GPO discussion.

Great Idea, Kcnychief

I will be there to learn.

Can't wait, actually.

Heeter

Last edited:
This has to be pushed back a few days, I'm incredibly behind on a few projects. I might push my "weekly updates" to the weekend. It will be up by Sunday and whichever day I post will be consistent week-to-week. Sorry kids!

Hi Nets,

Would you say that this book might be for me, somewhat noob in the Win2003Server field, or is it for someone who knows 2003Server at an advanced level?

I have no problems purchasing this book, but If I have to buy three others to understand this one, it would be futile.

Thanks

Heeter

Heeter said:
Hi Nets,

Would you say that this book might be for me, somewhat noob in the Win2003Server field, or is it for someone who knows 2003Server at an advanced level?

I have no problems purchasing this book, but If I have to buy three others to understand this one, it would be futile.

Thanks

Heeter
I don't know actually. As I said, I only saw it mentioned on a TechNet blog earlier today and remembered this thread. It does say for "All Levels" so I'm guessing you wouldn't need to be a pro to get something out of it.

Maybe looking around for reviews might help. Even better would be to see if you can find it at a local bookstore...Barnes and Noble might carry it. That way you can flip through it and see if it's what you're looking for. :)

Good Plan, Nets

Drop by the Bookstore in the morning.

I am soo looking forward for this thread.

Heeter

What is a GPO, just out of interest?
Love it when you guys come out with all these tweaking stuff of OSes. Shame I have little time to play on anything other than XP (for the timebeing).

Group Policy, basically a set of rules that a machine that is specified in that policy has to adhere too, makes it easy to manage a domain rather than having to "tweak" each individual machine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back