Windows 2000 Server, Active Directory GPO issues

J

jkoXP

I have a Windows 2000 Domain, with Win2k Server, Active Directory running, etc.

I am trying to set the GPO for the domain, but, whenever I try to change the password policies, such as:
setting a min pass length, or any of the password options, and save the GPO, I try to create a test user account- to test the new settings, it will not let me create a new acct.

I have the min pass set to 4, and when i put in a 6 char pass, it says it does not meat the password requirements or something to that affect.... So I have to restore the backup of the working AD.. which is annoying.

What am I doing wrong?

I have the min pass set to 4, and when i put in a 6 char pass, it says it does not meat the password requirements or something to that affect.... So I have to restore the backup of the working AD.. which is annoying.

What am I doing wrong? [/B]

Try setting the minimum to 6 and see what happens. You have the latest patches and such installed right?

everything else works great, before I set the new GPO options the user accts are setup just fine, I can log on with them, etc.

its just after all of the GPO pass changes, I cannot create any new user accts due to the error I listed above..

how are you applying the GPO...are you applying at the Domain level or at the OU level??

that might be your problem then. GPOs are applied in the following order:
1. local
2. site
3. domain
4. ou
(its easy to remember LSD:cool:OU)

that means that any policys applied at the local level are overridden by policys applied at the site, domain and ou level. policys applied at the ou level are applied last and policys applied at the local level are applied first. have a look at the ou policy and see if there are any settings that conflict with what you have set in the domain policy.

its a clean install, so everything is default. I want to set policies so that the pass has to be atleast 4 chars... when I set that, it mess' up, but ill try applying the gpo at the out level

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back