Windows 2000, Registry Changes to apply DST?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Having that problem where we have quite a few Windows 2000 SP4 machines here, and the fact that they don't have the DST Patch out for it. Does anyone know how I can create a registry file that I can deploy on the Windows 2000 machines (Actually, all machines, hopefully it won't affect the Windows XP ones)? And also, how can I deploy it using Group Policy? Would I have to deploy it by using a script?

Thanks!

no offense man.. but sometimes I wonder how the hell you got a job as an admin..

*sigh*

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

specifically here would be information on win2k. Contains the registry file and a script you can run. Pushing through policies might be harder.. I have a different script that was used to determine OS version and applied patch

edit: you can also wait a couple weeks and all will be right (at least until fall:) )

If it helps, I also have a custom patch that will apply the DST changes to XP or to 2K. If you can't make sense from the links Fitz posted let me know and I can hook you up with it.

no offense man.. but sometimes I wonder how the hell you got a job as an admin..

*sigh*

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

specifically here would be information on win2k. Contains the registry file and a script you can run. Pushing through policies might be harder.. I have a different script that was used to determine OS version and applied patch

edit: you can also wait a couple weeks and all will be right (at least until fall:) )

Thanks for the insult Fitz. I'm only a Junior Tech, I never said I was a Systems Admin. I am however doing a lot of Systems Administrator activities and learning a lot from it. But thanks. All I could see from those links is the same things I've been seeing... Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. I don't know if I'm seeing wrong information than I should be seeing or what, just calling it how I sees it.

Chief, can you please shoot me the script, file, and how you implement it? I need to implement it on a domain that runs both XP and 2000 machines.

Punk, don't worry about what was said. We've all been down that road; I wish I had OSNN when I first started out. Keep doing what you are doing (and I'll take care of fitz for you). Keep up the good work.

yeah.. bring it on madmatt :)

And dont' mind me.. i'm just a bitter old man who hasn't had enough sleep of late (and even less sleep coming later once my 3rd baby is born!)

As for windows 2000, the link I posted earlier had links specifically for windows 2000 SP4. Following the first link would also allow you to choose IT professional, and select windows 2000 instructions.

I'll post the file when I get to work in a few hours. Implementing is a snap, as it is only an .EXE. If you want, I can even give you this DST Checker we have, which checks the system first and throws up a flag if it has been updated already. Of course, there is no harm to trying to install the file on a machine already patched.

Stay tuned...

OK here are the patches, the DST Checker will check the PC to see if it has been patched and prompt accordingly. The windst.exe will patch both 2K and XP machines.

I assure you they work, but use at your own risk. I would recommend testing with your environment since these were custom made.

Attachments

• DST Checker.EXE
    117.4 KB · Views: 212
  • windst.EXE
    111.6 KB · Views: 210
*sigh* The official MS patch is floating around out there if you look hard enough, you may be able to find it without paying US$4,000 for it. It may be even more available now that the change has actually occurred..

the file name of the official patch is Windows2000-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe if you need even more help..

edit:
and again, the KB article has the reg files as well as some premade vbscript that you can use.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387

edit2:
if you do find the patch/exe floating around out on the world wild web, you can verify it is a legit file through the md5 sum (e60de9b417e646c2786e50b3575f3eb2) of course, you would have to trust me that the md5 sum I posted is valid..

Thanks for the insult Fitz. I'm only a Junior Tech, I never said I was a Systems Admin. I am however doing a lot of Systems Administrator activities and learning a lot from it. But thanks. All I could see from those links is the same things I've been seeing... Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. I don't know if I'm seeing wrong information than I should be seeing or what, just calling it how I sees it.
Wasn't meant totally as an insult.. and as a junior tech, then you should be asking and working with your senior techs before necessarily asking other people here..

And you obviously didn't look very carefully at the links I posted as one specifically mentions windows 2000 pro, server, and advanced server. The other link I posted would allow you to select various options and specifically select windows 2000 as an option to view.

My big issue with all this is that you just don't seem to try to do a lot of research on your own before you go looking for help.. either that, or you are very bad at looking for answers. To give an example, the last couple things I actually did help you with I found answers not from my own knowledge, but through a 10 minute google search. Which makes me wonder, how much looking did you actually do to try to solve the problems yourself?

Even this issue with DST, the Microsoft DST links and patches and workarounds for windows 2000 are literally EVERYWHERE on the web.. and yet, you post here like you haven't seen any info on it and hadn't bothered to look for any info on your own.

Junior tech, senior tech, whatever.. the fact is you call yourself a tech person.. and should at least be able to put forth a little effort on your own.. like putting in "DST windows 2000" into Google which returns all kinds of info on different ways to patch windows 2000 computers (http://www.google.com/search?q=DST+windows+2000)

Last edited:
I have the Windows 2000 update that corresponds to KB931836, and is the update that you would need.

I have the update as well, but, it is technically not a free update (unless you already had extended hotfix support from MS) as Microsoft was charging $4,000 for the hotfix for windows 2000.

You can hire me for $2000.00 plus expenses and I'll install it for you.

hell, just pay my expenses (w/some nice dining) and fly me out there and I'll whip something up to install it everywhere for free.. i need a vacation.. I'm tired, crabby, and generally irritable of late

I'll do it for $200, via RDP and then push it through GPO :lick:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back