Windows 2000 PW

DedMeet

OSNN One Post Wonder
Im on a Domain and administrator has locked up the change password tab on my personal machine. So I can not change the password on my machine. Is there a way to beat this is it stored locally in my registry somewhere or do I need to get the administrator to change this for me.. he is never in the office and nobody has the admin PW. Wondering if there was a way to do this.

Thank You

DedMeet

the admin needs to do it unfortunately as the domain controller overrides local settings.

i think on *nix systems you could do it w/o the need of the root user but on windows they're a little stricter

That is quite silly and infact we do the reverse. We will soon be implementing something called SC. Users will have change their password every 30 days, they must be 8 digits with a mixture, of letters and uppercase/lowercase letters and also they must not contain a word over 3 letters that is in the dictionary.

Password changing should be more frequently rather than less often imho/

LordOfLA said:
the admin needs to do it unfortunately as the domain controller overrides local settings.

Fortunately, we have this method.

Unplug the PC from the network
run NT offline PW reset (don't ask, just search google)
add yourself to local admin group
reboot.

Domain Controller will override the local administrator account, but your userid should remain in the admin group. Otherwise, you have a decent domain admin. ;)

EDIT: --- it may still be locked out, as Lord specified.... DC may override.

Electronic Punk said:
That is quite silly and infact we do the reverse. We will soon be implementing something called SC. Users will have change their password every 30 days, they must be 8 digits with a mixture, of letters and uppercase/lowercase letters and also they must not contain a word over 3 letters that is in the dictionary.

That, is bad ass security. :)

Electronic Punk said:

So do you have a method to report the passwords they choose back to you. Or what happens if they forget or you need into their account??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back