Windows 2000 and printing issues.

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I'm trying to support a general printing issue when it comes to a Windows 2000 machine. I am not certain what service pack this is. The user is trying to print to an Oki Data Dot Matrix printer to do reports. When installing the driver you have to use a Generic / Text driver. When I'm on the user's account (Which is setup as a Power User, not Administrator) while printing say, a 20 page report, a part of the way through you will hear the error sound, and the Printers Folder open up, but minimized to the task bar.

After awhile the error message reads: There was an error reported while trying to print "MCSJ Doc" to Centronics/Print. Do you wish to retry?

• The document still prints successfully entirely.
  • Sometimes the error messages comes up more than once on the document, usually only twice though.
  • Error message does not occur while logged into the machine as the Administrator.
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled that printer, still nothing.
  • Printer is being added by IP address, using a HP Standard TCP/IP Port.

I find it odd that both the document still will print in it's entirity no problem, and that this only occurs while logged in as a power user. Any ideas?

two things:

First error like the one you reported can happen on laser jets as well as dot matrix printers, but it is normally a buffer error which for whatever reason windows does not read as a buffer overrun, it will wait and finish printing the document. I just had this happen this morning printing out a 90+ page document.
Second, unless this printer is being shared, I don't see the need to add this printer via IP.

I do find it odd that the errors do not occur when logged in as administrator. You could always change the permissions for that user on that local machine only and give them admin privileges, if you know they wont do anything you dont want them too the machine...

mlakrid said:
two things:

First error like the one you reported can happen on laser jets as well as dot matrix printers, but it is normally a buffer error which for whatever reason windows does not read as a buffer overrun, it will wait and finish printing the document. I just had this happen this morning printing out a 90+ page document.
Second, unless this printer is being shared, I don't see the need to add this printer via IP.

I do find it odd that the errors do not occur when logged in as administrator. You could always change the permissions for that user on that local machine only and give them admin privileges, if you know they wont do anything you dont want them too the machine...

Sadly both the printer is shared, and we are not going to even try to add the user as an administrator to the computer. The safer the better. Thanks for your help though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back