Winchat really no add-on

C

ChrissiCom

Hi there

I read on the main page that XP has included a chat tool which can be opened by typing "winchat" in start > run... although that program doesn't exist. I have the US version of XP Pro installed with all (also non-windowsupdate.com) updates applied (except SP1 beta). I also only de-installed MS Messenger and MSN Explorer/IExplorer which shouldn't include this chat. So can someone please help where I can find this chat ?

It may well be one of the base files for one of those programs you uninstalled. It does exist and on my machine winchat.exe is located in the X:\windows\system32 folder.

Really strange it's not in my system32 folder also when I activate the option to show hidden and system protected files. Well, if it's not too big could you please send it to me by mail or upload it somewhere ? I'd love to try that tool.

Chrissi

I think this is part of the SP1 beta. I just did a search in my archived files and it wasn't there. I fired it up and looked under the 'about chat' section in help and came back with this:
winchat.jpg

I don't know if this thing will work without SP1 installed, but you can try. Unrar and copy these files to the following folders:
Winchat.ini >X:\windows
winchat.chm > X:\windows\help
winchat.hlp > X:\windows\help
winchat.exe > X:\windows\system32 and X:\windows\system32\dllcache

I've got Windows XP, and it's on mine. Just typing Winchat through the Run command fires it up straight away. It's a load of rubbish tho, I can see why they didn't bother telling anyone about it lol.

LOL

This once again is my way of saying NO IT DOES NOT COME ONLY IN SP1... IT IS BUILT INTO A XP INSTALL (CORP, HOME, and PRO)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back