Winamp gone?

That is sad, great product.

When you think of some of the crap products out there, it was light years ahead of them :(

This one is unexpected. One of the best Audio players around on the PC.

Well, it wasn't really unexpected. When AOL bought nullsoft way back when, everyone assumed that AOL would ruin Nullsoft and drive Winamp into the ground..

Mirabilis' ICQ, Netscape, WinAmp... what is the common thread of all 3 programs? AOL acquisition. Anything AOL acquires they then run into the ground. The logic may seem a bit baffling since one could question the wasting of money buying a software company out but at least the kept it out of a competitor's hands and in the end that can mean far far more.

Yahoo! acquired MusicMatch not so long ago. MusicMatch was a decent program back in it's infancy but got bloated beyond reason before Yahoo! stepped in and bought them. Let's see if Yahoo! has more intelligence than AOL.

rotjong

the Nullsoft dev team were probably the only intelligent people ever associated with AOL

this sucks :(...i love winamp!! Sad sad day :(

Well if you look over at the winamp forums things are not as clear. Apparently there are still some people left at Nulsoft and its not necessarily the end

this was the first program i installed when i got my pentium 2 350.
i remember using the default mp3 codecs, and ripping all my audio in 56kbps, and thinking it was awesome.

hehe
the new windows media player isnt all that bad...

They have outlived their usefulness. We got WMP, iTunes, and others now. Sad to see the pioneer go though. : (

Winamp rules all :) with the MMD3 skin, it just sits there in the title bar all nice and out of the way whilst still having plently of buttons to play with :) Plus ripping and burning.....class :D

it's not gone just no MAJOR updates from the article I read. the people who are left around will provide minor updates so I don't see this program dying for a while

Khayman said:
Winamp rules all :) with the MMD3 skin, it just sits there in the title bar all nice and out of the way whilst still having plently of buttons to play with :) Plus ripping and burning.....class :D
I use foobar2000 99% of the time when listening to audio on my system. It's just easier for me and in the end I prefer it.

As with most audio players these days the addition of burning, ripping, etc has just gone too far, IMO. Back in it's infancy MusicMatch was a nice little suite of tools for playing music and ripping CDs. It worked and it was nice. They they just added and added and added. It's an invasively installed piece of junk now, IMO. I'm still a registered user of the program since like version 1 or 2... I can't remember anymore... but I won't use it.

Tuffgong4 said:
it's not gone just no MAJOR updates from the article I read. the people who are left around will provide minor updates so I don't see this program dying for a while

Stagnation is simply a slow suffocating form of death. Nonetheless, you are correct.

I mourn the death [slow or quick] of WinAmp even though I rarely use the program anymore because it was the vanguard of the media players to follow.

rotjong

Unwonted said:
They have outlived their usefulness. We got WMP, iTunes, and others now. Sad to see the pioneer go though. : (
True. Tho I am such a creature of habit that I still use Winamp almost exclusively.

zino said:
one more f%%%ing reason to hate AOL....ugh...
Got that right. :D

i love winamp it's always running on my computer it's a must, i say we rampage aol HQ

Reading through the Winamp forums it looks like the program is far from dead or from being shutdown.

AOL apparently bought Nullsoft back in 1999 and there are still quite a few members of the original team still working on it, not to mention an internal build for the next release still in the works...

I’m starting to really question the validity of anything coming from Betanews or MajorGeeks for that matter..

It was a great app (all the way up to v2.65 :p) but to be honest, I'd not used it in quite a while, also most people I know had moved over to WMP10 or iTunes.

I can't imagine this move will kill Winamp completely, I think they should just open-source it, would be a nice contribution to the OSS communities to get a look at it :)

I will still continue to use Winamp 5, just because it doesn't eat up as much resources (CPU time, memory,...) as WMP10 and other variants. Though not entirely true, since I am a devoted Linux user atm and Winamp is useless there :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back