Winamp gone?

Glaanieboy said:
I will still continue to use Winamp 5, just because it doesn't eat up as much resources (CPU time, memory,...) as WMP10 and other variants.
WMP10's using between 8,867K and 10,140K here at the moment. I don't think that's too much to ask for in a day and age when 256MB is almost a minimum standard.
Though not entirely true, since I am a devoted Linux user atm and Winamp is useless there :p
Well, you have XMMS or Beep (GTK+2 version of XMMS, essentially) then that have pretty much the exact look-and-feel of Winamp...and those will still continue to remain in development. :)

The memory isn't quite a problem (I got 384 MB installed), the CPU power is. WMP10 is using about 15-20% CPU time and that is quite much on my PIII 800 MHz system with various apps running on the background. Winamp is using about 7 MB with 5% CPU time.
And, yes I am using XMMS on my Slackware machine :p I forgot to say that :eek:

Winamp is the first program I install after my reformats or os installs .. Now I am depressed .. :(

And the memory usage is based on what skin you use, diff ones will cause diff amounts. Which is why I don't use modern skins that much ...

Maybe if I...
chaos945 said:
- the program is far from dead or from being shutdown
- AOL bought Nullsoft back in 1999
- there are still members of the original team working on it
- and an internal build for the next release in the works...
- I question the validity of anything coming from Betanews or MajorGeeks

I haven't used Winamp as my audio player for a long time. My hatred for it started when the bloat came in. I have fond memories of Winamp earlier in it's life though. Meeemmoorrrrieessss.....

SPeedY_B said:
It was a great app (all the way up to v2.65 :p) but to be honest, I'd not used it in quite a while, also most people I know had moved over to WMP10 or iTunes.

I can't imagine this move will kill Winamp completely, I think they should just open-source it, would be a nice contribution to the OSS communities to get a look at it :)

There is a propierity decoder and encoder in the thing. They would have to rip it out, leaving it essentially barebones and without being able to play or rip MP3's. Would be useless to them. It would leave the OSS with a nice codebase to play with, and add the support back in. Considering we have open sources free MP3 decoders.

NetRyder said:
WMP10's using between 8,867K and 10,140K here at the moment. I don't think that's too much to ask for in a day and age when 256MB is almost a minimum standard.
Well, you have XMMS or Beep (GTK+2 version of XMMS, essentially) then that have pretty much the exact look-and-feel of Winamp...and those will still continue to remain in development. :)

XMMS even supports winamp skins, so you can make it look the same :p. Only problem is, with KDE 3.x when you hit the minimize button, not all three of the open widgets minimize, only the first one. Something that is still not fixed.

XMMS is however a great app which works perfectly, except if you have to many plugins that are poorly written :p.

chaos945 said:
- the program is far from dead or from being shutdown

Actually, no it is not. The two lead developers who created nullsoft got up and left. The rest of the team is slowly being abused in different places than winamp and other products that nullsoft created.

chaos945 said:
- AOL bought Nullsoft back in 1999

Sorry, must have missed it, but what is this supposed to mean? Yes AOL bought them in 1999, and now they are killing them off.

chaos945 said:
- there are still members of the original team working on it

Well, i am sorry to say, but if the two lead developers pick up and leave, it means they have lost their best people, their best men. Why? Well, the lead developers, the ones that created the product or applications in the first place are the ones that are to keep it going, have the best ideas, know where they want to go with it. The rest of the team most of the time is just there as support to help code, they do less of the thinking. Second, you need a leader, you need someone that can push others around and tell them what to do. A project without the original developers standing behind it, is a project doomed to fail. I have seen it happen in Open Source, and in ShareWare/PaidWare. Whenever a lead developer gets up and leaves, that is when the project basically starts a slow death.

chaos945 said:
- and an internal build for the next release in the works...

Sources? Have yet to read this anywhere. I have not heard this from AOL's mouth, or that of nullsofts.

chaos945 said:
- I question the validity of anything coming from Betanews or MajorGeeks

Even http://www.gedikian.com/2004/10/closing-of-chapter.html (Steve, one of the lead developers) recognizes that AOL wants a different direction for the project, one that the nullsoft team would not want to go in, as it would make the product less "geeky".

Also, other developers inside AOL have stated that because of AOL splitting up, and other crap, projects have been cut. And we if we look at AOL's prior history, they have done the same thing with other products before. Especially Netscape, they bought it up, made it bloatware, and then left it out to dry up, and die. AOL seems to have no problem with letting people down.

dreamliner77 said:
Maybe now would be a good time to get acquainted with http://www.foobar2000.org/
This is nothing compaired to winamp. It is nice, mostly for the fact that it is just a player. As for sound quality - It's not that great ..

Foorbar's not that bad, but I just like to open my media player, hit play and leave it at that, foobar handles that really nice, uses sod all CPU and memory too ;)

Other than that though, the loss of Winamp really isn't a loss at all, it's just a gain for iTunes and WMP10 (and some other smaller players too :))

I wouldn't make any assumptions.

Winamp 5.06 had been in development for quite some time.

theirs reports everywhere silencing the rumor.
AAAAAAAAAAND i never read the previous posts.

SORRY dudes

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back