Win98 Help

DrMetallica

OSNN Senior Addict
I'm working on my older computer, the specs are 600mhz, P3, 128meg, win98. The internet, and CD rom drive are not working properly, so i want to reformat everything, install windows98, play around with my favorite operating system (windows 98) for a couple of weeks, then install red hat on it. But, I can't make a boot disk to reinstall windows/reformat things. I have the win98se CD, but, like i said, the cd rom drive is not working so i can't make a boot disk. Pls hlp.

Try reinstalling your CDROM drivers and check the connections at the back of your CDROM!!!

I can tell the cd-rom is working because i can open/close it and when i stick a cd in the light goes on for about 5 seconds.

But I try going into explorer (remember the old days?) and double clicking D: and it will give me an error:

"D:\ is not accessible.

This folder was moved or removed."

so i rebooted into ms-dos (ahhh the good old days) and typed D: and it looks like this:

"C:\Windows> D:

D:> (me: yay!)

D:>dir

Volume in drive D: has no label
Path not found

(me: damn!!!)

D:> C:\Windows

C:\Windows\> win

(boots win98)"

btw doofus i just realized i have no working floppy disks (just a bunch of broken ones) so i'll get some tomorrow

Also try here for boot disks
http://www.bootdisk.com/

As for the CD-ROM, check the IDE cable is connected properly and the right way around. Also try deleting it from device manager and see if windows detects it

You can make one in control panel, add/remove programs, windows components, startup disk (sorry if words are wrong, me being French).

I do hope this helps you !

also try this:

goto your system properties, device mamager, then remove the CD rom, then reinstall it or just try and update it with windows up date, also try right clicking on the CD rom in my computer then goto properties, then select the CDROM and try and update the drivers or reinstall it

OK, i checked in the CPU, the cd rom drive IS connected to where ever it should be, so i went into device manager and unistalled it, and rebooted, it didn't find anything new. Scheisse

Tried that. All it found was a floppy drive that was damaged somehow (probally registry..)

I forget to mention this all happaned after i installed IE6 on my win98 box.

its not suppoed to find neything new, after u remove it reboot your PC, then try and install new drivers for it

K, ill try. But now i got a boot disk and i'm gonna reformat it if it doesn't work.

K, i've reformated, start the computer WITH cd-rom support, but now, how do i re-install win98? I have the win98 cd

You need a floppy boot disk with Cd Rom support. Change the bios to boot first from the floppy (fun ain't it). Boot up with the floppy, select 'with cd rom support'. Once there put the '98 cd in the rom. Change to the drive letter for the rom.

There are two ways:

The one I prefer.
1/ Make a folder on the hard drive.
C:\md Windows (Enter)
C:\Windows md Cabs (Enter)
C:\Windows\Cabs
Now navigate to the win98 folder on the cd.
C:\Windows\Cabs\cd C:\ )Enter)
C:\cd D: ( cd rom letter)
D:\cd win98 (Enter)
D:\win98
Now copy that directory to the hard drive.
D:\win98 copy *.* C:\Windows\Cabs (Enter) (you can take the cd out now)
Now get back to the new folder using the cd command
C:\cd Windows (Enter)
C:\Windows\cd Cabs (Enter)
C:\Windows\Cabs\ (now type 'setup' (no quotes) (Enter)
Away it goes. In my opinion this is a more stable way to set up win9x.

2/ Boot with the floppy with cd rom support.
Then get to the D: drive using the cd command.
D:\cd win98 (Enter)
D:\win98 type setup (Enter) Away it goes from the cd rom.

I'm doing this from memory so if anyone sees an error please post about it.

Whoohooo!!! It's installing now, and my cd rom DOES work now!! *begins to make love windows98* ...now i can leave it at 98, or go for some new fangled linux OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back