Win98 and XP

S

skromni

On a new HD i would like to put together win98 and XP is this possible? (not to make different partitions), and if its possible a breafly explanations on how to do this would be gratefull :D

thx

would like to put together win98 and XP is this possible

I am a wee bit unclear about what you mean here, if you mean that you would like a choice of win 98 and XP when you boot up the comp but dont want to use third party partition software then just follow below... if not just post and i will try and answer it.

If you want to do it the easy way then all you do is install win 98, then put the xp disk into the comp, it will ask what you want to do so all you do is choose clean install and then it will let you select what size you want the partition to be and it will create, format and install xp. Upon reboot it will give you the choice of xp and win 98 (you can change the default display time and stuff within windows later if you need to) ;)

THX

That was what i was looking for, thx again.

But probably u can't put them together on the same partition?! is that correct? cos thinking logically win98 is FAt32 and XP is NTFS ?! just need confirmations thx again

skr

You may put them on the same disk, just make sure you put them in different folders. And make sure you install 98 first (the oldest os must be installed first)

you can't you use ntfs if you want win98 to work in the same partition, you have to choose fat32 for xp...

Is there any difference if u install Win98 (Fat32) and WinXP (Fat32) on the same partition ? I mean what is the difference ? whats pro and contra ?

thx again
skr

well, i wouldn't recommend it unless you really need win98, my friend did this with whistler + win me in the same partition and he ended up all his drivers and apps get mixed somehow...

my personal advice would be that you don't install win98 at all, it sucks :D

the biggest contra of having xp with fat32 is that you can't have a partition bigger than 32 GB. if you have a small hard disk fat32 is not a problem

As long as they are in different folders there is no difference between putting them on the same partition or different partitions.

Thx a lot to all of u :) its really nice to have all this help :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back