Win95 Virus in Boot Sector!!

davmail

Bike Pilot!
Hi, Can someone help me with this problem,an elderly couple I know have this old Win95 PC, they do not have the Win95cd,they are not connected to the internet, but have got a virus in the boot sector,and has destroyed it!I can't get rid of the virus, as I can't get in to 'windows'have tried a 'start up disk'can get in to DOS but no commands seem to work, 'bad file name or command' comes up, they got the virus from a cheap game at a boot sale,I put in Fix-It utilties cd to try to boot up, thats when the RED screen came up saying a virus in the boot sector,any ideas as to what I can do to get it going????Many Thanks. :confused:

put there drive in your pooter as a slave & run a anti V scan on it is probably the easy way.

failing that, a low level format and lose all the info :(

and im sure you can get a copy of 95 off a file sharing app.

and im sure you can get a copy of 95 off a file sharing app.

uhm that would be pretty illegal ;)

And i agree, guess putting as a slave and running a scan would be the easiest thing...

so long as he dont get a warez serial number, he has done no wrong ;)

and if i remember right, 95 remembers the serial number ???? (don't hold me to that, it's not like i still have a copy :p )

I dont wanna put the drive in my pc,I have found a copy of win98 that I had on an old pc of mine, but I can't find the reg number,would the number be hidden on the CD somewhere?Cheers.

Hi, have found the Win98 Manual with the serial number,should I now be able to use the 'start up' disk,use CD Rom support and install the Win98 system on it???

nope number is only on the back of the cd case or on the back of a booklet or on a case. and IIRC with windows 98 it was on the booklet

davmail said:
I dont wanna put the drive in my pc,I have found a copy of win98 that I had on an old pc of mine, but I can't find the reg number,would the number be hidden on the CD somewhere?Cheers.

It should be in the registry somewhere, but I forget where, seeing as I don't think I've touched 98 in about 5 years

Easy, don't panic. Go to http://www.bootdisk.com , then download a DOS Bootdisk. Extract the file to a floppy disk, make it writeprotected (the disk, not only the files!), boot the computer with it, and run the following commands:

c: <enter>
fdisk /mbr <enter>

if there comes an error message, run it directly from the floppy:

a: <enter>
fdisk c: /mbr <enter>

That rewrites the Master Boot Record of the harddrive. Now reboot the system from the harddrive and run an antivirus app. That should get rid of it.

Good luck

Thank you all for your help,I have the Original Win 98 CD,WITH the ORIGINAL manual WITH serial number on it,its a matching pair!!!Can I install that if all else fails????Thanks.

loki said:
Easy, don't panic. Go to http://www.bootdisk.com , then download a DOS Bootdisk. Extract the file to a floppy disk, make it writeprotected (the disk, not only the files!), boot the computer with it, and run the following commands:

c: <enter>
fdisk /mbr <enter>

if there comes an error message, run it directly from the floppy:

a: <enter>
fdisk c: /mbr <enter>

That rewrites the Master Boot Record of the harddrive. Now reboot the system from the harddrive and run an antivirus app. That should get rid of it.

Good luck
totally forget about that solution, that could do the trick. i would try that first and if that doesnt work, go for a format and install 98

this may seem an amazingly stupid question,how do I write protect floppy???

...and it's amazingly simple :)

You can move a little piece of plastic in one of its corners up- and downwards. Fix it in the upper position.

Hope it works :)

Brilliant! Cheers, will let you know how I get on,hope I get it going as they are a nice old couple, and they miss their games on it.Thanks.

i doubt a 95 pc owned by a couple of pensioners will be up to the task of running 98. make sure it's up to the job b4 you go and trash it :)

Its an AMD K6 pROCESSOR, 10gb hard drive,64mb ram, should be ok.Anyway its trashed now!they can't use it.

I happen to have an actual Win95 disk in my pile of software from when my work was giving them away. I can part with it for just the cost of shipping if you need it! :cool:

scriptasylum said:
I happen to have an actual Win95 disk in my pile of software from when my work was giving them away. I can part with it for just the cost of shipping if you need it! :cool:

Many thanks for your offer, but I should be able to get it going,cheers anyway.
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back