Win32 Error

GMeagle86

OSNN Addict
I am receiving this error and it is getting irratiting:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for teh inconvenience.

The error signature reads:
szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2055
szModName : wiaservc.dll szModVer : 5.1.2600.2055 offset : 00017f81

I did a quick search and it said it could be a virus. I used Norton's and updated it and scanned everything. It was clean...

Any Ideas? Thanks!

Does it happen randomly or when you run specific programs?

Does eventviewer give any hints? I'd also check the file Windows\wiadebug.log.

Does Windows Image Acquisition service ring a bell? Any problems lately with your scanner, camera,...?

NetRyder: I ran those 2 tests and they came up with nothing.

Yoyo:
1. As far as I can tell, it happens randomly
2. EventViewer does not ring a bell. I checked the log file and it is basically empty
3. I currently do not have any scanner or camera attached to this computer

The same thing started happenning to me, no log and it happens randomly. Cant seem to pinpoint the problem.

I am not sure what I did to fix it, but I think it just worked itself out....It was strange and irritating at times though.

Ok this seems to be the closest thread to a problem I'm trying to solve. Mods if this should be its own thread please do so and I'm sorry for the extra work.

Ok well when I boot into windows Xp with sp1 first it takes a good 5 minutes to load the logon and I only have about 30 or processes running most of which you need. Well once I get the to the desktop its so slow that I can actually broswe the system faster through the task manager then windows itself, so in task manager I notice that svchost.exe under process is using 50%+ pf the cpu and explorer.exe is using 50MB+ ram so the only way I can use it is by killing a 4 svchost.exe processes and explorer.exe and reruning explorer. I've cleaned something like 10 trojans and virii from it and I still have this porblem.

I'm open to suggestions but hoping not to have to format it to fix it

I had a virus, it completely took over my system, thats the reason I was getting the error, I had to do a comple format on all my hard drives.
BTW, it was a win32 virus, cant remember the name though.

Well after talking to person whos system it is and a little thinking on my own I think I've got a virus or trojan in the master boot record, which I know how to fix other then fact its currently on a different drive then the XP install I can use

looks like it's disk errors in my case!

I am hitting same problem as original post on my laptop now - it is well annoying.

System restores back some way have not resolved and I am wondering about using my Retrospect backup from the external Hard Drive - but worried that could not clear it.....

In my case I feel almost certain this is somehow linked to the AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) but unfortunately I need that as it is the way myself and colleagues exchange messages.

I guess I'll go for the volume restor - if that fails I'll uninstall and reinstall AIM.

And if that fails I'll be really ticked off because it'll be back to a reformat....

[EDIT] :eek: looked at system error log and it is covered with bad blocks on my hard drive!!! now this laptop is less than a month old, but I guess anything can happen.... Guess I will discover now if a recover from external hard drive can fix bad blocks..... weird that my scan disc found nothing - will retry that too.... [/EDIT]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back