Win2k Notebook Rollout

D

Dlovely

At work we have 70 notebooks to be rolled out. In the past we would take the hard drives and partition them equally putting the OS on first partition and their personal documents on 2nd partition. Does this make any sense or should it just be one big drive 60GB instead of 2 partitions? Anyone with experience rolling out laptops in the corporate world with any suggestions would be appreciated. They also use to put the paging file on the 2nd partition. I'm just curious to see feedback as to why or what we should do. Keep in mind they are brand new P4 2.2Ghz Compaq notebooks with 60GB drives and 512Mb ram. with Win2k OS.

Thanks

I would set it up with two partitions. As you said, one partition for Windows and software applications; the other partition for documents. The advantage is that if there is a problem with Windows itself, or you are hit by a virus, you could format the first partition without thinking much. All your important documents would still be on the second partition (although backups are still recommended)

As for the paging file, there isn't any advantage to putting it on the 2nd partition. Since both partitions are on the same physical hard drive, access time isn't reduced. So just leave the pagefile on the primary partition, and let Windows manage the size.

Good luck! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back