Win2008server for gaming?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

reading on some site that peeps are using WinServer 2008 as a gaming platform.

Is this for real?

I thought WinServer2008 was directx8 or something like that?

Thanks,

Heeter

I don't think 2008 would be suitable as a gaming platform. But like 2003, you can turn it into a workstation.

you can turn 2008 into a workstation from what i understand but you will need the drivers for the hardware, but your better off using xp as all the games will be far more compatible

the few games I tried locked up when exiting. YMMV but I'd stick to vista for gaming.

I will never understand why people insist on using server platforms for gaming. I mean, does the word "server" after the operating system name really make it more 1337?

For the most part, an operating system should be used for what it was designed to do best.

...IMHO.

The reason in this case is because Server Win2k8 uses minimal resources and as a consequence, it loads much faster and also consumes less memory when running.

However, some of those resources are critical for stability when running applications Win2k8 is not designed to run. You can mess around with settings and "hack" bits and pieces of applications for smooth running but it does require a lot more babying than Vista.

I was in 2 minds about whether to slap Win2k8 on my system when my additional 4 gig's arrives or to go with Vista Ultimate SP1 x64. Decided to go with the latter and deep-dive in and clean the install so the only resources running are critical for my needs.

The reason in this case is because Server Win2k8 uses minimal resources and as a consequence, it loads much faster and also consumes less memory when running.

Exactly! I made brief attempts at doing this with Windows 2003, but it just never seemed practical enough for me.

I was in 2 minds about whether to slap Win2k8 on my system when my additional 4 gig's arrives or to go with Vista Ultimate SP1 x64. Decided to go with the latter and deep-dive in and clean the install so the only resources running are critical for my needs.

Do you use vLite to do this? I love vLite! It makes Vista so much better for me.

I would have to agree. the server systems aren't meant for gamin. I guess you could run a Virtual Machine on it but those are even worse because then it isn't using all the memory it can or should be.

Vlite just stops things from being installed at all.
Just as easy to crack down on services and anything else thats running and you decide isn't really needed.

Actually, in vLite you can also "Skip user creation" so that you can use the true Administrator account, because even if you disable UAC under a normally created quasi-Administrator account under Vista, there are still annoying things that occur which don't when using the true Administrator account.

I can't provide a list as although I've installed Vista both ways, I quickly became spoiled using Vista with the true Admin account, versus the normal way with a quasi-Admin account. Therefore, I haven't used the normal way in over a year. I seem to recall some of the difference in how Vista acts had to do with "Open with" from the context menu, but I'm positive that I had noticed other differences.

Also, I would argue that it is easier to turn off or remove Vista features from vLite, along with the unattended settings, so that Vista is as set up as possible as soon as it boots the first time, besides that vLite explains what all sorts of parts of Vista do and what the consequences of turning them off or removing them are.

How much is a license for server 2008 these days , is it really worth it? I am sure everyone here pays for their software right ?

Windows Server 2008 Standard
$999
Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Includes 5 CALs (User or Device, chosen after purchase)
Windows Server 2008 Standard
$1,199
Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Includes 10 CALs (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

Well,i'm running it for 3-4 months and its 20-30% faster than Vista and i didn't so far have any problem with any game.
In fact games runs about 10FPS faster (Crysis DX9&10,STALKER,COD4,Batllefield,FEAR,Need for Spead,HL2E2)

I'm using drivers for Vista and even few for XP because I'm on NF2 platform.
It looks just like Vista (Aero) but is much smoother an faster.It gets close to XP in speed.

Give it a tray.Especially if you run Vista.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back