• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Win-XP Refuses to shut down

Seashell

OSNN One Post Wonder
I know from the title this sounds like a hundred other posts but it's not as it seems. I tell windows to shut down and it does shut down but immediately restarts?
I am at a loss to figure out why this is happening? I have spent all day reading different places and haven’t run across anything that might be of help.
If you have seen this problem or have any idea what might cause it please post your answer.
TIA Seashell

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
You may be have a critical error but do not see it and if so then doing the following may let you see what is happening.

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

Seashell

OSNN One Post Wonder
Well Well,
I tried your solution and it caused the BSOD when shutting down. It referenced a file by the name of nv_agp.sys. I deleted this file by making a copy of it on floppy and deleting the original file. I then rebooted. After doing all of this the computer once again shuts down normaly. Now the question is how did these things go wrong? I been using this computer for two years and after restoring from a true image backup made 20 days ago this problem cropped up?
Any way thanks for the advice. It helped me solve the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies