Win XP Pro or Win2k5 Media Center

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Stupid question.....maybe

I have a Sony VAIO that I need to re-install Windows XP Media Center 2005 on. I read on Sony's page, they don't supply re-installation media, but there is a recovery partition on the hard drive. Well, that hard drive is kaput, so I sneakily went out and downloaded Windows XP MCE, but it's not accepting my product key.

My question is, has anyone installed MCE? When I am in the GUI, it says Windows XP Pro. I have an OEM sticker on my VAIO, licensed for MCE which is not working. I have a volume key for XP PRO, and that one doesn't work either.

Thoughts?

I tried calling Sony, but was on hold for 45 minutes, so I'm trying on my own.

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but couldn't you contact Sony(probably email would be better if they list a CS email anywhere unless you want to end up on hold again), explain what your situation is and ask them to send out an installation disk for your OS? Cuz I know a few other computer makers would give them out to their customers if they needed or wanted the disks and they weren't included(I haven't dealt with Sony so I don't know if they do this or not).

The only other solutions I could see are to either dig out the old drive and get it running long enough to image it onto the current drive if the thing isn't totally dead(not the best solution but it could work as a temp fix) or to go out and buy a new copy of the OS and try installing that onto your Vaio.

It may not accept the product key because its a cracked CD, they dont take all codes.

I would try Ferral_Imp's idea about contacting Sony.

Also, isnt Media Center a copy of XP Pro with extra crap?

try ferral imp's idea. I'm sure there are other methods to get a OS installed but most are not to be discussed here. email Sony or call and wait

The trouble with downloading warez copies its that they are invaribaly retail licensed and not OEM licensed as would be the case with the vaio - yur best bet is to contact sony and ask for a cd image to be sent to you so that you can just boot the cd and have it image the new disk to a default factory setting.

Windows Media Center 2005, is actually Pro with a lot of stuff missing. Since it is cheaper than Pro, MS did not want people to install MCE2005 instead of Pro into corporate machines.

Heeter

Ferral_Imp said:
I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but couldn't you contact Sony(probably email would be better if they list a CS email anywhere unless you want to end up on hold again), explain what your situation is and ask them to send out an installation disk for your OS? Cuz I know a few other computer makers would give them out to their customers if they needed or wanted the disks and they weren't included(I haven't dealt with Sony so I don't know if they do this or not).

The only other solutions I could see are to either dig out the old drive and get it running long enough to image it onto the current drive if the thing isn't totally dead(not the best solution but it could work as a temp fix) or to go out and buy a new copy of the OS and try installing that onto your Vaio.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am going to result to e-mailing them, but I was trying to get this done sooner rather than later. I DEFINITELY don't want to buy another copy, ewww, but thanks :)

Reason I am doing this is because I'm gonna sell the VAIO on eBay, but I want to have a viable OS on it first. I will e-mail Sony shortly, thanks bro!

Admiral Michael said:
It may not accept the product key because its a cracked CD, they dont take all codes.

I would try Ferral_Imp's idea about contacting Sony.

Also, isnt Media Center a copy of XP Pro with extra crap?

Yeah, it probably is (crap), I would never use it myself but that is the OS that came with it. So, I'm trying to restore it to it's original state before selling.

I can't get to it right now, but I just wanted to quickly look up contact info. I can already tell this is going to be a pain...

"Based upon the information you entered, your unit appears to fall within the applicable In-Warranty period for parts and labor for Vaio products. Unfortunately, at this time it is not possible to request a repair on-line for Vaio products within the warranty period. For Product support, on-line knowledge database, frequently asked questions, and free updates via the Internet, visit: http://www.sony.com/pcsupport. For Product service or technical assistance, call: 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972)"

OK so I just got off the phone with Sony, and I felt the need to post a few things....

1. I was not on hold AT ALL. They started with voice recognition software to make sure I was re-directed properly, then a technician picked up instantly.
  2. The technician actually gave me credit for knowing something, and listened to what I said instead of trying to tell me what a mouse and keyboard was.
  3. Not only will they ship me recovery CD's, but they are shipping FedEX overnight for NO CHARGE.
Absolutely unbeleivable, best service ever. I can't even compare this to anyone else. FIVE STARS!!!

Glad to hear its all sorted out. I have a Compaq laptop and I like there support, Ive seen worse :p. I espeically love there online chat method.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back