Win XP license question

J

jkoXP

Is it true that you can install your single XP CD on two computers in your home? A friend said he was able to, but had to call MS to get the activation. MS told him that he can install it on two PCs.

Ya you could, but when you call MS they will make you pay for another license;)

No, he said that when he called they said in the EULA that you can install it on 2 PC's that are within your house.

Hmmm interesting. Is it limited to only 2 pc's in your house or any in your house?

He said only two in your household. I was hoping that this is true so I wouldn't have to buy another copy.

From the MS XP Home Home Page:

Can I make a second copy of my Windows operating system software for my portable computer?

The End-User License Agreement (EULA) for many Microsoft application software products contains the following sentence: "The primary user of the computer on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer." If your EULA contains this sentence, then, subject to the conditions mentioned, you may make a second copy of the software. Note that you must be the primary user of the computer on which the software is installed. The primary user is the individual who uses the computer most of the time it is in use. Only that individual is entitled to use the second copy. Furthermore, the software must be installed on the local hard disk of your computer; you are not entitled to make and use a second copy on your portable computer if you run the primary copy of the software from a network server. Finally, only one secondary copy may be made; you may install this copy on more than one portable computer.

Please note that many Microsoft products are copy protected and it will not be technically possible to make a second copy of the disk. If you are a Licensee of software that includes copy protection technology, please call the Product Support Services number provided for that specific product to learn whether or not unencrypted disks can be obtained

You can check your EULA:

For more information, see the End-User License Agreement, located at Systemroot\System32\eula.txt

I'm running the Win2003 Server eval and don't have xp home installed or I'd look it up for you. This is probably what was being referred to. I know I have been asked if the activation was for a "single computer" when I had to do the phone thing so I dunno but....

kip

I also have been asked if my copy of Windows XP Pro was installed on only one computer. I do know that Microsoft Office XP can be installed on one main computer and a laptop as the previous post states but I don't believe that applies to Windows. Hope that helps.
Jeff

I saw that in the EULA. But it's not a laptop, it's another PC. I wish MS would allow that, I am trying to do the right thing and not pirate. :(

On a side note, I have the Win2k3 server eval too.. I couldn't believe how fast it booted up!

Of course you can legally install the eval on up to 8 computers, so that might be a short term option. Does the "portable computer" language show up in your Windows XP EULA? If it does and you are the sole user of these computers I guess you could lug the second one around the room once in a while to satisfy the "portable" issue. Up to you. Question is will it activate (probably not automatically, and the question is will MS Activation customer service allow it). If you try it post back with the results either way.

kip

We've had Win2K "sticker-licences" on the side of some Dell machines at work recently, and they claim to be 1-2 CPU licences.

Personally I dunno whether this applies to actual CPU cores in one machine or whether the reference is for 2 machines/users.
I reckon it means 1 machine myself, but I haven't looked into this.

Maybe your mate is getting the 1-2CPU/1-2 User's confused?
Many people refer to the base unit as the "cpu".
Just a thought ;)

Unless it was installed on one machine first and then installed on the 2nd, and the MS people thought it was a clean install on his 2nd pc and he was no longer using XP on the 1st pc?

I didnt realise there was something like this in the EULA - I think I'll have a read over mine later.

Straight from the MS XP EULA

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
this EULA:

* Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Product on a single
computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used
by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any
single Workstation Computer.
You may permit a maximum
of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each
a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to
utilize the services of the Product solely for File and
Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote
access (including connection sharing and telephony
services). The ten connection maximum includes any
indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other
software or hardware which pools or aggregates
connections. Except as otherwise permitted by the
NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop
features described below, you may not use the Product
to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other
executable software residing on the Workstation Computer,
nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display,
or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless
the Device has a separate license for the Product.

I'll try it sometime then. When they say portable, does it have to be a laptop? Because I will move the PC around somethimes. ;)

Does this go for Office also?

just ring them + say it's a laptop ;)

Wouldn't they be able to tell by the hardware?

What about Office?

How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of Product Activation?
The underlying principles of Microsoft's software licenses have not changed. Microsoft's End User License Agreements (EULAs) have always stipulated the number of PCs that software can be installed on. Product Activation does not change that. Office XP may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for Office XP acquired preinstalled on a new PC are single-PC licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another PC or laptop computer. Windows XP may be installed on one PC. There are no secondary use rights (e.g. no "laptop clause") in the Windows XP EULA . The aforementioned licensing terms have not been changed due to Product Activation.
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/mpafaq.asp

:(

And MS wonders why people pirate. They need to loosen up on their rules.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back